John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello just got XUV 590i bought it from a friend “As is” rides cherry an it has a lot of power for what I use it for. It just has a major shifting problem. I have to turn off the Gator to shift it into gear. I’m just afraid that soon the starter will go out on me.

·
Administrator
3,772 Posts
Hello just got XUV 590i bought it from a friend “As is” rides cherry an it has a lot of power for what I use it for. It just has a major shifting problem. I have to turn off the Gator to shift it into gear. I’m just afraid that soon the starter will go out on me.

PM sent

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
886 Posts
Whatever you do don't force the shifter. Forcing it may damage the transmission (expensive) or shift linkage. Turn the engine off to shift until you get the primary clutch fixed.

·
Registered
2015 XUV 550
43 Posts
Welcome, from central PA! I was recently experiencing the same issue with my 550. Do yourself a favor and follow the instructions Brad sent you. You won’t regret it a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I ended up taking the primary clutch apart. All I did was sand the plates down so that it slides smoothly in an out. Took me about 2 hours from start to finish. Runs super smooth now!

·
Administrator
3,772 Posts
Thanks guys! I ended up taking the primary clutch apart. All I did was sand the plates down so that it slides smoothly in an out. Took me about 2 hours from start to finish. Runs super smooth now!

Sanding the sheave face smooth is not the correct solution for hard to shift into and out of gear issues.

·
Administrator
3,772 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Brad. I was told you could point me in the right direction for shifting issues on a 2017 590i. I just bought it from a guy and noticed it had a tough time going from R to N or H. I have to turn off the key to get it to shift out of R Do you have a fix for this? Thanks in advance.
Shane

·
Administrator
3,772 Posts
Hi Brad. I was told you could point me in the right direction for shifting issues on a 2017 590i. I just bought it from a guy and noticed it had a tough time going from R to N or H. I have to turn off the key to get it to shift out of R Do you have a fix for this? Thanks in advance.
Shane
PM Sent

1 - 10 of 10 Posts