John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have new 2021 590m with only 14 hrs. There is a loud clanking noise underneath in rear when moving forward or reverse, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I’d take it back and have the dealer investigate. Especially if it wasn’t as pronounced initially.

If they say it’s normal ask to drive another one to compare, and ask why engineering would design something that clanks so it sounds like poor quality.

·
Super Moderator
3,509 Posts
Have new 2021 590m with only 14 hrs. There is a loud clanking noise underneath in rear when moving forward or reverse, any ideas?
Please see this thread, are the symptoms similar?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Since it is something that just started get JD involved. They own the issue

Until customers begin to push back on their quality they have no incentive to improve. Most companies will look at their warranty data and look if occurrences is going above a certain threshold and/or cost impact. Until it even registers on the radar they won’t have visibility to the issue let alone react to it. Until the customer demands better quality through action don’t expect it to happen based on their current company culture.

Reactions: Bradhill

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’m tracking this problem since JD told me that noise was normal in mine in January. You make the 4th 2021 gator to notice this noise. It seems to only effect the new gators with the park gear in the trans. Mine goes away once the machine is warmed up.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I suggest you get it in writing from your dealer and have them sign and date it. Also record the noise in the event you have problems once the warranty is up. Protect yourself in the event the worse happens. JD only needs effects of the noise to occur after 12 months and then they are golden.

Just because many do it doesn't make it right or as the engineering team designed it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I suggest you get it in writing from your dealer and have them sign and date it. Also record the noise in the event you have problems once the warranty is up. Protect yourself in the event the worse happens. JD only needs effects of the noise to occur after 12 months and then they are golden.

Just because many do it doesn't make it right or as the engineering team designed it.
According to engineering it is normal. Mine went through a 3 week dish with my dealer and John Deere engineering. My personal feelings about it are that they were trying to fix the clutch problems of the past. I think they went way loose on the open belt tension to make sure it doesn’t stick in gear or creep in gear.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Thanks for reporting your findings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JD coming to get it today. I found it makes clanking noise even when in park. If I push down accelerator, clanking gets louder. Service manger thinks either the clutch is bad or belt is shredded and slapping plastic belt cover. We will see.

Also, how do change oil on this thing? Looks like I need 4 ramps to get under it to do the job.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Why are they taking it in if it is normal?

I’m confused as why they said no problem and now want to diagnose further? Did they actually diagnose earlier or just gave you a canned answer?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your confusion two different people replying to this post. Mine was diagnosed as normal. The original poster is having his taken in to be looked at.

·
Registered
46 Posts
JD coming to get it today. I found it makes clanking noise even when in park. If I push down accelerator, clanking gets louder. Service manger thinks either the clutch is bad or belt is shredded and slapping plastic belt cover. We will see.

Also, how do change oil on this thing? Looks like I need 4 ramps to get under it to do the job.
Please keep us updated because mine is “normal”. I hope your dealer can figure it out.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Your confusion two different people replying to this post. Mine was diagnosed as normal. The original poster is having his taken in to be looked at.
Thanks for clarifying!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Glad it is fixed and thanks for reporting the root cause.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. That’s what they replaced on mine at 7.5 hours. It still makes the same noise but is better in warmer weather. I have 24.6 hours now and it hasn’t gotten better or worse so I’m just monitoring it and we’ll see what happens.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is there a part number for the belt on any of your paperwork? Apparently there are 2 belts that fit that machine. One number starts with UC and the other starts with MI. They are supposed to be the same length but something has to be different. I’d like to know which one you got because it didn’t fix my gator replacing the belt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts