John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what i should look at,i have a shudder on take off in high range . It goes away once the rpm's get up , dose NOT do it in reverse or low range. The clutch was sent to the Doc with 1 mile on it,what else can i look at ? Yes it is under warranty but i think it is something simple, don't want to pay the crook dealer to pick it up until i cant figure it out.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Just guesses on my part:
1. Belt possible glazed
2. Belt installed opposite of when it came off (use belt lettering as a guide)
3. Sheves clean on both pulleys

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1. dose not feel or look glazed
2. belt on correctly,
3. everything clean.

now the odd part, it sat overnight, drove around today with box off, clutch exposed smooth as can be !! It was 75 outside when it happened yesterday i was movin along at 50-51 hit the rev limiter,then i was drivin along 30 or so . We came to a stop went to take off that's when it would ''shudder'' then smooth out,again no shudder in low or reverse. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was short lived,its back. It dose it on any upgrade in high only and with machine warmed up good.i can watch the clutch work, i see nothing wrong with that. Like i mentioned it will smooth out when speed and rpm's increase

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new 590M special Edition. I have experienced the same issue especially after an hour or so of use. It only has 70 miles on it so I thought it might go away. Guess not! Also have an inordinate amount of clanking noises that appear to be coming from the clutch. Most apparent at lower speeds 5 to 10mph. I love the XUV except for these issues. Far more enjoyable to drive than my Mule.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update, i bought a new belt scrubbed clean dawn dish soap. So far everything is perfect, the one i took off with 71 miles looked a little glazed. I do not let it sit and idle in gear or neutral. Will see if the new belt becomes glazed also, if it dose then there is a clutch issue. I don't know what it would be, i will have to figure it out .
VARY unimpressed with the j d clutch, as for aftermarket, us gator guys are S.O.L very little for us. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Perhaps follow the breakin guidelines to see if it helps.

Reactions: Bradhill

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Perhaps follow the breakin guidelines to see if it helps.
Apparently the ''break in '' dose not matter as my results show. I have ran sleds with way more horse power that this little motor puts out, never seen or used a belt brake in procedure . Like i said the j d clutch is not a good clutch, or i should say team is not a good clutch as they make it for deere. Lowest bid ? who knows.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
update # 3 Had a long discussion with venom products, i had a suspicion that the issue is clutch related. It looks like it is, NOT the primary or ''drive clutch'' it is the secondary or the ''driven''. Looks like deere had team make the cheapest secondary they could. This secondary is basically for a golf cart ! I have a few test to make , but it is possible a softer spring will correct this.

I will also say again dealer wants to change the primary,nope.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Thanks for reporting your findings!

When this is all over, I'd document your findings with the JD's CEO and your dissatisfaction with the product.

(y)

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for reporting your findings!

When this is all over, I'd document your findings with the JD's CEO and your dissatisfaction with the product.

(y)
I will have to do something, first i need to solve this. The dealer is no help at all,i just hope a differnt spring will do it. Unfortunately changing the spring is the half ass way to correct this, if this is the problem. The helix is what is the the real fix, but....... you can not remove it ! it is part of the sheave.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the new spring in the secondary, have not had much time to play with it. It has improved a lot, is it totally gone no. Gave my findings to venom, that spring was the only option they have.

I have confirmed that secondary clutch is what is used in E-Z GO rxv golf cart, last time i looked i did not pay for a golf cart.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I made a discovery today, just removed the primary and it is a very sticky. This issue was drivin me nuts, i did not believe it was the primary since it was sent to the doc already. I look forward to seeing what happened,off to texas it goes.

Something went wrong for sure, not the end of the world. I will post findings when i get some info.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Thanks for keeping us informed of the progress. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yes it would be, but that goes against JD's corporate policy.

If you're a JD supplier, you cannot support the aftermarket, so it leaves folks like TEAM and others with no options to participate.

This allows them to price as they want and ignore quality improvements without much if any repercussions from the customer base. It is odd TEAM primaries have so many issues in this application over the years. If this was an automotive part, the OEM would be holding the Supplier accountable for such poor quality. Typically the Supplier has design responsibility and thus ownership in the matter. Makes me wonder why JD turns such a blind eye to quality. Then again, maybe not enough people take advantage of the warranty period. When the issue gets too bad for the customer, JD has the opportunity to make money off the faulty item and will likely continue to have a revenue stream from producing poor quality replacement parts.

·
Super Moderator
2,974 Posts
.......It is odd TEAM primaries have so many issues in this application over the years. If this was an automotive part, the OEM would be holding the Supplier accountable for such poor quality.......
Hate to cherry pick here, however I wanted to share my thoughts.

TEAM builds solid clutches, they are used by many other ATV/UTV and Snowmobile manufacturer’s.

The issue as I see it, the specifications sent to TEAM by John Deere are simply setup to tight. As with many JD components they are over built.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts