John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchases a 2003 6 x 4 diesel gator with 600 hrs. Put about 4 hours on it when it developed an extremely loud noise when brakes applied, with vehicle not wanting to stop. Have to turn key off to stop. Also trans grinds when shifting into gear. Do not know if these could be related. Could the problem be anything other than brakes which I have been told could cost about $1,000.00 to repair. Any and all suggestions will be more than appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Although this is an older post (with no replies) ... taking both symptoms together, it seems to me that the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) may be engaged (i.e. the driving pulley is actively grabbing/driving the toothed belt) while you are braking or shifting. If this is the case the driving pulley's (sp?) internal centrifugal clutch shoes/springs are not retracting at low (idle) RPMs, or the engine RPMs are too high when you don't have your foot on the gas pedal thereby causing the centrifual clutch shoes/springs to engage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brake discs

Where can I buy just the friction discs for a 95 4x2 Gator? How thick are the new ones supposed to be? I measured mine and they seem to be about 3/16th of an inch thick... although the friction faces are only about 1/32 thick.Does that mean they are shot?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info....Went to my local Deere dealer yesterday with brake parts in hand.They said they were still in great shape!! so,I'll try adjusting the brakes after I get the transaxle back in the chassis to solve the questionable brakes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Good deal Pete. They very seldom ever wear out. Most always adjustments. Follow the guide I posted in another thread when you get the trans back in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
4x2Gator brakes

Thanks again for all the great info!! I just couldn't believe that the discs could still be good considering it was bought in '95 .... As an aside...even the parts counterman was taken aback at the list price for the brake assemblies !!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Loud Brakes

My 2003 was doing the same thing - loud brakes and grinding- I simply slowed the idle down and it went away completely!

·
Registered
165 Posts
brake noise and idle?

I just resolved an electrical problem with a 97 6x4 gator and my next project is the brakes but I don't understand the connection with the brake noise and the idle speed. My assumption is the gator is at idle on flat ground, why brake noise? Could it also be the brake adjustment?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Glad to hear the electrical problem is fixed. If the idle is too higfh, the clutch will still be engaging the belt, making it hard to stop. Therefore the brakes may growl. BUT! even if everything is correct.. idle, brake adjustment ect... the brakes may still growl and chatter and carry on. On the 6x4 and some others, the brakes are inside the transmission. They are of the wet type and actuate with what is known as a ramp and ball system. There are a couple solutions to reduce or eliminate the growl, chatter, grind.
First off.. Change the oil in the transmission. Refill with fresh LOW VIS Hy-Gard. No NAPA or TSC or WALLY MART CRAP.. actual just bought JD Hy-GARD. Now go out and run the heck out of it. Use the brakes.. ALOT! Use pedal and gas at same time.. ride the brakes. Warm them up.. Your problem will soon go away.
Still growling? Change fluid again.. this time add some PEMO. PEMO is a friction mod. Available at your Deere dealer. Its a lil pricey tho. Still may take some time to "kick in" and get rid of the growl, chatter, squeal.
Use common sense and dont use or ride the brakes til you burn em up or overheat transmission. Figured I'd throw that in there just in case!

·
Registered
165 Posts
new career

although xcopterdoc is a cool handle, think about starting a website called "gatordoc". Charge a small fee of $5 or $10 per question if answered. That's pretty cheap to have some help resolving issues people have in fixing their gator. I'd owe you about $80 but it would have been money well spent. Happy New Year;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
here's a tip; instead of responding like: check both ends of your battery cables for a clean connection, it may help. Try: ck cables, dumbass:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts