John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 6 x 4 Gas, that when you turn the key the starter motor cranks but the engine doesn't turn over. It was working fine for years, and suddenly it won't actually start. I thought it was the starter motor but after replacing that it also sounds like the original starter motor, so now I'm thinking the original wasn't bad either. However I still don't know what the cause or the fix is. Attaching a video of me trying to turn over the engine with the new motor in.

Here is a link to what it sounds like since I can't post a mp4 video or mp3 audio file

Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,558 Posts
What is the voltage at the starter ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the voltage at the starter ?
Using an ideal 61-310 set to 20 DCV, positive to positive battery terminal and negative to negative battery I get -10.2. Going to the starter motor positive to positive terminal and negative to negative terminal I get -9.6, with ignition key turned to on. I need to get a second set of hands to turn the key to ignition.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bought a new 300 CCA U1 battery. Problem solved. Tested with volt meter prior to install, 12.6 compared to the 10.2. It was likely the battery all along as I have no idea when it was last replaced. I'm keeping the newer after market starter installed that I bought for $60 and if it goes bad I'll put the original back in. Hopefully this thread helps someone down the road. I did not buy an after market relay kit since I got this to work.

·
Super Moderator
3,558 Posts
Bought a new 300 CCA U1 battery. Problem solved. Tested with volt meter prior to install, 12.6 compared to the 10.2. It was likely the battery all along as I have no idea when it was last replaced. I'm keeping the newer after market starter installed that I bought for $60 and if it goes bad I'll put the original back in. Hopefully this thread helps someone down the road. I did not buy an after market relay kit since I got this to work.
Thank you for your follow up !

Reactions: bohdi

·
Registered
249 Posts
Bought a new 300 CCA U1 battery. Problem solved. Tested with volt meter prior to install, 12.6 compared to the 10.2. It was likely the battery all along as I have no idea when it was last replaced.
Glad you got it going! Yes, 10.2 volts is never going to start a vehicle.

A few things to note for future battery questions...

Any battery that no longer holds 12.6 with the leads disconnected for a few days, is going bad. Can take a while (months/years), but it's on the decline.
Once your battery discharges to 12.4 volts, you need to put it on the charger as soon as possible. Sulfation begins below this voltage, and that is what eventually ruins batteries.
If you have a dead battery, and have the time to do so, ALWAYS charge it with a proper charger. Jumping it off is hard on the alternator and the battery itself.
Short trips (5-10 minutes) ruin batteries in the long run. Depending on several factors, it can take up to 30 minutes just to put back INTO the battery, the power it took to start your vehicle.

That's probably enough for now. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad you got it going! Yes, 10.2 volts is never going to start a vehicle.

A few things to note for future battery questions...

Any battery that no longer holds 12.6 with the leads disconnected for a few days, is going bad. Can take a while (months/years), but it's on the decline.
Once your battery discharges to 12.4 volts, you need to put it on the charger as soon as possible. Sulfation begins below this voltage, and that is what eventually ruins batteries.
If you have a dead battery, and have the time to do so, ALWAYS charge it with a proper charger. Jumping it off is hard on the alternator and the battery itself.
Short trips (5-10 minutes) ruin batteries in the long run. Depending on several factors, it can take up to 30 minutes just to put back INTO the battery, the power it took to start your vehicle.

That's probably enough for now. :)
Good to know. I've had this Gator for about 4 years. I couldn't tell you when the battery was bought, but I typically only run the gator about 3 minutes at a time, typically. It usually sits in the garage as the garbage hauler for the house. However it does see lots of use as a shrub/debris hauler, dirt hauler, rock hauler around the yard when needed.

I did have it on a battery charger for 2 days straight, and by that time I suspect it was already on it's last legs. It was powerful at first but after a day it didn't have enough umph.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I did have it on a battery charger for 2 days straight, and by that time I suspect it was already on it's last legs. It was powerful at first but after a day it didn't have enough umph.

Gotcha. So, a 12v battery is made up of six 2.1v cells in series. When you charge one like you did, and it ends up resting around 10.5 or a little less (2.1 volts x 5 cells is 10.5), that means you have a dead cell.

And yeah, if you are only running it for a few minutes at a time, it would be best to charge it once a month. If you want the battery to last. We got 10 years out of our last Gator battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts