John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2009 a few weeks ago. 700+ hrs on the meter. Replaced some tires, did an oil and filters change and fixed an exhaust shield rattle. Unit runs great, but I have distinct knock in the front left at slow speed. Since I can't duplicate the noise by bouncing the front end when parked, I'm ruling out suspension. I'm thinking CV joint? Any other ideas before I attempt to pull this thing apart?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Does it sound more in the front end or can you hear it under your feet? Trying to track those noises down can be real difficult!

I've never seen CV Joints go bad, but there is a carrier bearing that holds the front drive shaft located a little back from where your heel sits when using the gas pedal. Those have been known to go out. They aren't the easiest to get to.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum melgator!!!!!!!!!!

I have had CVs go out on our 620i's. I would think CV or the carrier bearing. The CV is more of a click than a knock.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I am going to to say its your carrier bearing that holds the drive shaft to the front end. Replace that and I bet it takes care of the problem..

·
Registered
904 Posts
I agree with DeereSales101 if it is like you describe it melgator.

·
Registered
709 Posts
When you are under the gator, there should be a hole cut in the plate, not a big one, about half way in between the front and where the seats stop. That's where the carrier bearing is. It'll be a U shaped deal with a bearing in it. I dont remember if you have to remove the console (shifter, cupholders, etc) to get to the bolts to release it. It's kind of a pain. Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts