John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

First time poster here! I have inherited my parents 2007 620i gator from our family farm. I’ve already done a new water pump and drivers side rear axle. There are a couple things I’m looking for some guidance on - I do have the technical manual but it’s not the best in describing a “how-to”. 1. In the photo attached here - you can see it’s leaking from the rear diff? I believe. Does the seal replacement require the full removal of the unit? 2. The transaxle boot has ripped - so I either replace the whole unit or try to find a boot for replacement…. I’m not sure where to begin on pulling it apart. 3. Last item - when applying full throttle the gator goes into a limp mode until I restart it. I’ve replaced plugs / filter / etc - but can’t seem to pin point the issue. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. (Sorry - I typed this up on a phone)
Land vehicle Tire Cloud Vehicle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Tire Cloud Vehicle Automotive tire
Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Automotive tire Bumper Gas Tints and shades Automotive wheel system

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts
I would suggest you clean and remove all the grime and gunk. This will help you see exactly where the oil is coming from.

Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suggest you clean and remove all the grime and gunk. This will help you see exactly where the oil is coming from.
Yes - I could definitely do that. I’m pretty positive it’s the seal - because after some use I will get drops onto the floor from that location. I assume that transfer case is filled will oil and at some point I might be looking at it being completely drained.

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts
Yes - I could definitely do that. I’m pretty positive it’s the seal - because after some use I will get drops onto the floor from that location. I assume that transfer case is filled will oil and at some point I might be looking at it being completely drained.
Have you checked the oil level ?

·
Administrator
3,821 Posts
In reference to dropping the transfer case, in order to make sure the seal is pressed squarely into the case you may have to do this on the bench.

Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
13 Posts
you do not have to remove the transaxle to service this seal. the transfer drive shaft needs to be removed easily done has a bolt at both ends one at the rear easily visible and one at the front axle.you also have to remove bolts from both pillow blocks one in the rear visible and one in the front you can see the two bolts from underneath but the block is on top of the pan you can see it if you move the rubber mudguard from the body. I would suggest pulling the front transfer drive shaft completely out as the front cv boot is probably bad too there are several cv rebuild videos on youtube to reboot them. the leaking seal can be pried out with a seal hook or you can drive a screw into the seal and pry it out with vice grips or a claw hammer. the JD seal is pricy but the dimensions are on the seal and you can source the same seal a lot cheaper tap it in with a block or socket just be careful it will go in too far and easily in crooked just have to be carefull check how far it is in now.. the seal is fairly easy the cv joints a lot harder require cleaning disassembly and refitting rubber boots and clamps. mine is a 620I but it looks the same good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts