John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
I have a 620i that is running like #$%* and the system diagnostic light (looks like open book with a wrench) is on. It has no power and barely stays running. I called the dealer and they said I need to bring it in to have the problem diagnosed (suprise-suprise). The manual says the system diagnostic light flashing indicates a sensor malfunction. Can anyone here help before I must spend the $300.00 estimated for diagnosis?

Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
There will be long and short flashes each one for about 1 second each, Tell me what order they come in, Example 2 short 1 long 2 short ect.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Take it a Local auto repair shop where they can Scan it for Free...to get the code...I believe I can scan mine..it has an OBD2 connector to scan computer...they can go in Generic to pull codes

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would check for vacuum leaks..check Map sensor, I had mine at the dealer after a hard ride and had a broken axle...They pressure washed my Gator top to bottom,,,so when this Happens water is then injected into connectors and such...I notice it was misfiring on mine and found water in the plug boot...So I took Brake clean and blew it out with shop air..and then used Dielctric Grease inside of boot and applied to outside of boot where the wire pushes into the cylinder head for a seal...That wont happen again Now

·
Registered
904 Posts
I strongly agree in Dielectric Greaseing every wire connection. The problems we have had with our 620is here at work has always been a fuel problem. Our dealer told us the worst thing for these motors is to let them idle, so I tell my guys to let it warm up and then run the piss out of them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The Problem everyone has is the cheap Gas,,,,Only run super in these rigs...for optimum HP.and better driveability...Run synthetics...also add a little Seafome to every fillup...a capful is all you need

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There will be long and short flashes each one for about 1 second each, Tell me what order they come in, Example 2 short 1 long 2 short ect.
Gatordone,
I tried to get this information but the problem went away (light quit flashing) and it's running good. I suspect this issue will return but all is ok for now.
Thnks.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Glad to hear the problem is resolved. Run the wheels off that thing and try and run better gas in it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I jinxed myself. The problem has returned overnight on both 620i gators. Now I'm thinking it may be a moisture related issue as it rained during the night and now both gators have the diagnostic indicator light on and are running like crap again.
The bright side is we REALLY needed the rain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gatordone,
I tried to get this information but the problem went away (light quit flashing) and it's running good. I suspect this issue will return but all is ok for now.
Thnks.
Gatordone,
Now that this problem has returned, I have identified the flash sequence as 1 Long and 1 Short. Please let me know if this gives you any indication of what the problem may be.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have been out for awhile. Anyway the long and short flash indicates a code for the throttle position sensor sending a wrong signal to the ecu (engine control unit). You should have the dealer check this out with test equipment because it could be wiring also. The sensor is $180.00 and if you get one and it is not the problem you will be stuck with it,so let the dealer take that problem on. Also the sensor is very tricky to adjust if you haven't done one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad I found this forum! I Just picked up a 620i Gator on Craigslist for free! I cleaned and degreased the chassis, body and part of the motor that wasnt electrical. Same code keeps popping up, 1 long, 3 short. Im thinking TB, or possible TPS cause it runs and idles like garbage.. Ideas? Not going to start a new thread, cause theres tons of info, just going through it all now. TIA!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I only have a 625i manual, so not 100% it will be the same.

Copied from manual:
Diagnosis code 13 - water temperature sensor fault. (See Coolant Temperature Sensor Test.)
For additional tests, see “Diagnose Engine”.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you my friend! Ill diag from there. I did notice the radiator fan came on almost immediately after cold starting, so that code makes sense. It Doesn't explain the rough idle but now I have a place to start. Thank you for the reply!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Along the same lines, I have a 625i and am getting a code of 2 long and 4 short flashes. I’m also getting weird shifting between High range and reverse. It almost feels like one axle isn’t driving when in forward 2H If I go to reverse and back to forward, it’ll be fine. Maybe two unrelated problems. TIA

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Flashes 2-4

Description: Fuse 3 open
Diagnostic Code: 2 - 4
Notes: This code will flash whenever the ignition coil output is active, but the output does not have battery voltage at the pin.

Let us know if this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I checked the fuse and it was good. This machine ended up also having other issues and the dealer I bought it from took it back and made me a great deal on a newer machine, so I’ll never likely know what the actual problem was. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Super Moderator
3,428 Posts
I checked the fuse and it was good. This machine ended up also having other issues and the dealer I bought it from took it back and made me a great deal on a newer machine, so I’ll never likely know what the actual problem was. Thanks for the suggestion!

Please post photos of your new Gator when you can

·
Registered
66 Posts
From the technical manual: The fault codes will continue to flash as long as the key is in the on position. If the key is turned off, the fault code is not stored in memory and will only be displayed again when the key is turned on and if the fault condition still exists.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts