John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
625i XUV
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to the forum, and I don't actually own a gator, but I am taking care of the equipment on my elderly father's farm, where he has a 625i with the much discussed issue of getting gas in the crankcase due to poor engineering design of the engine vs what the equipment was designed to do. I've been all over the internet trying to find a conclusion to the discussions of this problem and how to fix it. The summary of what I've found is:
  1. Change oil often
  2. Install a hotter plug (NGK 6441 Iridium)
  3. Buy an extra set of plugs, & a spark plug socket & wrench, and keep them in the Gator
  4. Buy a spark plug cleaner from Harbor Freight to keep refreshing the plugs
  5. Take the intake manifold off and clean it reguarly
  6. Lather.... Rinse.... Repeat....
I've been doing steps 1, 5 & 6, so far, and I can't keep the damn thing running well for more than a 5-6 weeks at a time. The way it is being used, it is never going get warmed up and run wide open for 20+ minutes every time out. Is there anything else out there anybody is doing (besides spending $1k on a new throttle body assy) that is making a difference?

Thanks in advance for the advise!!

·
Administrator
3,898 Posts
Let it run longer, no short hopping. I realize that is obviously easier said, than done.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
You can thank JD for not being able to solve a calibration issue and making the customer pay for it.

Perhaps you can restrict the air flow to allow it to warm up to operating temperature. Similar to the radiator covers big rigs use in the winter time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts