John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, new member here. Just purchased a used 2016 625i this past weekend with 94 hours on it.

Took it for a spin around the neighborhood and noticed it's topping out at 22mph. It races up to it, but falls on its face right as it gets around 19mph and then creeps up to 22. It's a very deliberate thing, which leads me to believe that it's probably not anything inherently wrong with it, rather something mechanically done to limit it. I can get 23 going down hill. Plugs have been checked as well.

I took a gander at the clutch, but couldn't really tell if there had been anything done by the previous owner to limit its top speed. It does have the alloy wheels, but I don't have a basis for comparison so not sure if the speed is reading accurately or not. Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
Hey everyone, new member here. Just purchased a used 2016 625i this past weekend with 94 hours on it.

Took it for a spin around the neighborhood and noticed it's topping out at 22mph. It races up to it, but falls on its face right as it gets around 19mph and then creeps up to 22. It's a very deliberate thing, which leads me to believe that it's probably not anything inherently wrong with it, rather something mechanically done to limit it. I can get 23 going down hill. Plugs have been checked as well.

I took a gander at the clutch, but couldn't really tell if there had been anything done by the previous owner to limit its top speed. It does have the alloy wheels, but I don't have a basis for comparison so not sure if the speed is reading accurately or not. Any help is appreciated.
Welcome, feel free to post often photos are always appreciated !

Here is a link to the Operators Manual for your 625i perhaps this will help ? We may also want to change your belt and clean the clutch’s with hot soapy water and or non chlorinated brake cleaner followed by compressed air. Be sure to scrub the new belt with hot soapy water and let dry, this removes the moulding agents used in the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I actually have the operators manual and used it to do a little troubleshooting. Belt looks fine too.

Here's a dumb question, would not wearing the seatbelt do it? Like I said in the original post, it definitely feels like an electronic sort of governing taking place...

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
Thanks, I actually have the operators manual and used it to do a little troubleshooting. Belt looks fine too.

Here's a dumb question, would not wearing the seatbelt do it? Like I said in the original post, it definitely feels like an electronic sort of governing taking place...
You’re welcome, even though the belt looks fine it could be glazed. Not sure about the seat belt thingy

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Here's a speed limiter offered by JD. Maybe you can look to see if you have something that looks like it.

JD Speed Limiter

What did it act like when you took it for a test ride before purchasing?

Perhaps contact the original owner and ask them.

How do you know the speedometer is accurate? Did you verify speed with a GPS?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It definitely doesn't have the JD speed limiter on it. I've combed it pretty good and haven't spotted it.

I didn't get it up to top speed during the test drive unfortunately. I did call the dealer today to see if they can reach out to the previous owner and see if anything was done to it.

Either way I'm not terribly worried about it. I got it to work around my 15 acre property which is pretty hilly and heavily wooded. Not going to reach 30 out there anyway.

As far as verifying the speed with GPS, I can try that and see what it says.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts