John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the JD Gator scene so please bear with me.

Cannot located the SN or model year of my Gator.......searched throughout the engine compartment but cannot seem to find it.

In the mean time, I've also been looking but can't seem to determine which of the following drive chains is for my Gator :

AM128449

or

S6092EL M152672

Any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not sure where you live but if in or near a big city find a gear and bearing shop. Take your gator chain with you. Buy the HD chain, not the standard conveyor stuff. Be sure to buy it by the number of links, not the length. You will have to run it in and adjust the new chain a few times - its no different than on a motorcycle. And get a good chain lube and use it. I'm still running the originals and have only adjusted them once. I use chain saw chain lube with a brush. I jack the gator up from behind with a floor jack so I can roll the wheels while applying. Don't need a lot - just enough to see it coat the rollers and links. Let any excess drip off over night or a few days. Give the wheels a spin when you walk by it. Oh, keep an eye on rear tire pressures. Varying pressures or leaking tires can cause more chain and tire wear than you'd think. Steals away some power too.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If chain is worn it is always recommend to check sprockets since they wear with the chain. A simple search will uncover pictures of worn sprockets from which to judge from.

Reactions: Jrhill
1 - 3 of 3 Posts