John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use help on two issues, first can someone identify the year of my gator, W006X4D005729. Now the biggie; I recently tried to start my gator and after a couple of cranks it just went dead. I found a corroded glow plug module which I replaced. Now when I turn the key to the run position the dash lights come on with the cooling fan. Then when I go for a start, I get a click and everything goes dead again. It takes a couple of minutes before I can get the lights to even come back on again. I'm leaning toward a bad key switch and/or a possible grounding issue. Any help/ideas/guesses/lies would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ran your PIN number... nothing shows up. Double check those numbers. It isnt an older military gator is it?? As for the starting issue.. sounds like a bad connection. Check both + and - at the battery and on the starter. Make sure the ground is good and tight and clean at both ends. No power at all after attempting to crank generally points to a bad connection.
Cooling fan should not run unless engine temp is up. Check cooling fan wiring and cooling fan switch.

·
Registered
250 Posts
OOOKAY! Made in 1998. Not an M-gator.. my mistake.

W3 Standard Electrical Schematic - 6X4 Diesel (S/N 003925 - 033000) (1 of 2)

W3 Standard Electrical Schematic - 6X4 Diesel (S/N 003925 - 033000) (2 of 2)

Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate all your help xcopterdoc but I'm still lost. I made it up North this weekend to check the wiring connections on the gator. I cleaned up all the connections on the starter solenoid, alternator, battery and checked the pin connections on the relays. I no longer even get the dash lights to come on, even dim would tell me i'm completing the circuit. I forgot to take my meter with me but brought the ignition switch home. I only find continuity through one pin when the key is switched to run, nothing when turned to start but I assume that circuit must be made coming back to the switch through the relays. The only thing I can think of is I can't complete the circuit due to a grounding conection somewhere. Does this make sense or am I missing something else. I would like to have a good game plan on my next trip. It's nice to get away but trying to trouble shoot outside in 20 degrees is hard on a hot weather guy from Phoenix.

·
Registered
250 Posts
A meter is going to be a must. First I would check the battery. A good solid 12V is a must. Check battery cables to make sure they are hooked up correctly. Check BOTH ends of cables. Positive goes to starter, Neg goes to ground, remove and clean. Sounds to me you have a bad connection somewhere. Power comes in to the ign sw on the red wire. Key ON power comes out on the yell/red. When starting, power comes out of ign sw on the purple/black, thru the neutral start sw on trans to starter. Thats about it. Check all wires at the starter lug. Theres a bunch there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with you on the importance of a fully charged battery and clean connections with Diesel engines. I initially learned this from bringing a '78 ford 3600 diesel tractor back to life with some great information from people willing to help like you on forums like this. I installed a new battery in the tractor with poor results but after putting on new cables it took off like it was new. So, the gator has a new battery but I did not check the ground cable connection. I also understand your description of the electical flow back to the ignition switch for the starting of the gator. So, a poor ground sounds like my most probable cause for my poor gators lethargy:) Again, I hope you understand how much your help is apprecitated. I'm sure the majority of the people on this forum have come into owning an "experinced" JD vehicle for one reason or another and have a passion to revive it to it's full capabilities, without going broke.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gator resurection

So, to end the electrical mystery i've been chasing and cleaning the +/- connections. I followed the wiring diagram and started with checking power to the ignition switch and had 3-6vdc, so I checked my new battery and had 12.3vdc, which could probably use a boost. checking the switch again I found the red 200 wire was broke and corroded, that being fixed I had my 12.3vdc. Feeling like that was the problem I went for a start, nothing. so starting again I went from the motor solenoid to ground and was getting erratic readings on the meter. reaching down to the battery cables from the engine compartment I put the probes on the battery and noticed my positive cable was loose and corroded itself. Just a jiggle and all the dash lights lit up and with a turn of the key the gator started up....after the third try:) So in the end, don't assume your cables are good on an older gator. The good news is I also found the broke wire to the ignition and a corroded glow plug module that would have given me problems in the future. I also purchased the tech manual and I would advise anyone coming into a newly "used" gator to learn how it works. There's a little more to it than you think. Especially if it seems sluggish/slow. It can be resolved. Thanks xcopterdoc for all your help. and I have phone number to use if needed;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts