John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to the forums and have a problem with a 6x4 diesel gator. Problem is it will start and as soon as you let the key back to the run position it shuts off again but if you start it and keep the key in the start position it will stay running. One other thing i noticed is when you turn the key to the run position the glow plug light does not come on and i assume the glow plugs are not working. Any help will be appreciated! Im not sure what year it is but bu the look i would think its late 90s early 2000s

·
Registered
904 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like the switch is bad or something in the wiring.

·
Registered
904 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think Batman is right. Sounds like there is an open in the run circuit. I think the glow plugs have a relay that powers down in the crank position. If not a relay then it will be on a timer delay module, which should still have a relay or a solenoid. If it has a relay than this may help. Deere likes to use diode relays to reduce contact burns or short as the voltage backs up when cut off. The relay will have 4 or 5 pins in it. Pin 85, 86, 87, and 30 for 4 pin. 85, 86, 87, 87a, and 30 for 5 pin. 85 is switch power, 86 is ground, 30 is battery power, 87 is to device power, 87a is powered when relays off if its a 5 pin. Pin location should be the same whether the device is ground switched or voltage switched. Hope this can help and not confused the hell out of ya.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Batman is right. Sounds like there is an open in the run circuit. I think the glow plugs have a relay that powers down in the crank position. If not a relay then it will be on a timer delay module, which should still have a relay or a solenoid. If it has a relay than this may help. Deere likes to use diode relays to reduce contact burns or short as the voltage backs up when cut off. The relay will have 4 or 5 pins in it. Pin 85, 86, 87, and 30 for 4 pin. 85, 86, 87, 87a, and 30 for 5 pin. 85 is switch power, 86 is ground, 30 is battery power, 87 is to device power, 87a is powered when relays off if its a 5 pin. Pin location should be the same whether the device is ground switched or voltage switched. Hope this can help and not confused the hell out of ya.
Thats a HUGE help. Im going to work on it tomorrow so hopefully i can figure something out. Do the gators have any fuses at all? reason i ask is the battery cable eyelet had broken off and im thinking it may have touched something and popped a fuse.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If i am not mistaken, the fuses are located under the drivers dash panel or under hood. I haven't worked on enough 6x4's to really know.

·
Registered
904 Posts
If I get a free minute here at work, I will look at our 6x4 and let you know the location.

·
Registered
165 Posts
now THIS is great support and information from people with the knowledge to help the ones who might be new to gators or diesel engines. Please keep contributing when you can. Is there a neutral switch on the gator? and if so, it could allow the gator to start but the latching relay or circuit doesn't keep the circuit closed to keep it running?

·
Registered
165 Posts
learning as I go on a 6x4

Things I've learned in the past year with my '90 something 6x4 diesel gator.
If you're new to Diesel engines, they require full battery power and clean wiring connections expecially the battery cables to start. If it will crank but takes time to fire up, ck your wires/connections...fuel filter.
If it appears dead, no clicking when trying to start and you have a good battery, check the start relay, mine is located in the engine compartment, passanger side bolted to the sidebed. the pins corrode and lose connection. I've read that there are several possible fuse locations, below the dash, under the passenger seat...I found a 15amp fuse holder with the battery cables.
I know it won't start if not in neutral but cannot confirm if there is an external safety switch or if it's in the transmition.
If your dash light indicators do not light, insure they are not just burnt out, these indicate some very potential problems.
as to the possibility of a cheap starter switch, very possible but it is still just a switch, you gator starts but does not stay running when the key is released, this is not a function of a switch. I'm still trying to locate a wiring diagram for my gator but I would check your start relay before condeming the starter switch. also, check all fluid levels, I haven't found it yet but rumor has it there is an oil sensor that will cut the vehicle off if low.....good luck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
6x4 elec info

ok, even though no one may need help anymore, I'll throw some more info out there just in case. I found some elec diagrams for what looks like '93-98 6x4 diesel gators. key position in run, first click, you should get dash lights indicating power and probably everything electrical is good. key position turned to start, it starts and why are you reading this:)? it cranks slowly....check battery/connections....nothing....again check battery/connections/start relay/fuses or fusible links. starts but doesn't stay running....check ignition switch in run position, this keeps power to locking relay after ignition, or clogged fuel/air filters/oil pressure switch....OIL;).....for some excellent customer service finding a local supplier/manuals try JD Parts.com.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts