John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks!

I have a late 90's 6x4 with the FD620D-FS11 engine. Only around 500 hours, but unfortunately the exhaust/muffler has rusted through. Browsing the web, it looks like I need JD P/N AM127230 as a replacement, but WOW, the price is absolutely nuts! I know JD prices are high, but $300+ for a small, rather crappy muffler like this is really more than I'm willing to throw at this old thing. Especially considering it's been a nickel-dimer since I have owned it.

Does anyone have a lead on a Kawasaki (or off-brand) part number that would fit and save some $$? I see a ton of exhaust options for these engines but finding something that will clear the clutch and have a functional mounting bracket seems to be the challenge.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
888 Posts
I doubt another "stock" muffler will fit but if you have the capability you can make your own exhaust. To save some work you can buy a Kawasaki header/muffler and modify it to fit your machine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt another "stock" muffler will fit but if you have the capability you can make your own exhaust. To save some work you can buy a Kawasaki header/muffler and modify it to fit your machine.
Unfortunately I am no good with a welder or pipework. I can do pretty much anything else, but never did attain metal fabrication skills...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to go ahead and bite the $400.00 bullet. New muffler, gaskets, and nuts/bolts are on the way. Such as shame that this little exhaust system costs more than that of a car, but I guess that's the nature of the beast with buying new parts for 20+ year old machines....

·
Registered
1994 John Deere 6X4 Gas Gator.
77 Posts
I too almost went the same route as you did and bought from a JD dealer ! I was hoping you could put your order on hold and check with G-Pam Store. Global Parts & Machinery out of Bulberde,Tx. I rescued a 94 Gator 6X4 gas unit from a farm in SW Georgia where it had been sitting under a shed roof on the side of a barn for 14 years. Anyway I needed a muffler because mine was rusted through and this was a needed as part of the resto. I called JD dealers, Green Parts and others and gasped ! They were all about the same price from $350 to $450.00. So I got the Gator for $750.00 which was a great deal but it started disposing of my discretionary funds right away and steadily as it needs almost all cosmetics, some electrical, tires of corse and a slew of other stuff. I some how I stumbled on G Pam and a few other machinery and parts supply houses off a Google search. On GPAM you set up an account with minimal personal info. You can search for any make, model, year of any type of machinery sold by JD. Ford, Kubota, any make . Diesel, gas dozers, trucks,bush hogs, mowers, farm tractors, and PARTS !!!! Part numbers are the best way to search as I did. You enter the info about what you looking for and if you get a “hit” on it they send you an email. So you go back to your account and Shazam ⚡ ! ! Now it wasn’t instant. It took a few days and I wound up getting 3 maybe 4 vendors that had listings for my muffler. It’d take me an hour to dig up the receipt and part# but it was a brand new orig JD muffler for my Gator with the FD-620D-JS11 engine. More about that engine later being a JS model instead of the original AS as it came with. The muffler was listed for $235 and maybe $20 shipping to the house, but this was 2 years ago. I found almost anything in their database. The search evidently it sends casts a huge net and finds your item at supply houses all over. I’ve seen on tv where someone or an auctioneer buys out a JD Dlr or an IH or Ford dealer or parts warehouse that os going out of biz. They wind up with a trove of new parts and then these businesses end up buying them up. JD holds those parts tight and they are very proud of them ! I’ve also bought from GT Machinery out of Fl. With Gpam or any of them I searched with I never exchanged any personal or financial info with them. Basically you give them your email as you have to set up an account to search. You will get an offer as they term it, and it will be listed in the search results in your account. The offer sent to you has all the details of the vendor that has your item. Phone numbers, email, business name, physical address, all emailed to you. Then you can do some background checking to see if they are a ligit business. It’s up to you to initiate contact with them or wait and see if another comes in from another vendor. I didn’t wait and I grabbed it. More offers did come in but none with as good of price. After talking with Gpam on the phone a couple of different times she emailed me a picture of the muffler in the original JD box that was open, an invoice with both of our info and a completed UPS label. I gave them a credit card and bought it. No problems whatsoever. The muffler was perfect. They are a great source and it’s also hard to beat a good dealership of your brands manufacturer with a good parts person to look for orig JD parts. The original 6X4’s were all made from the same production run from 1993-95. My S/N is W006X4X009266 and my Jd Dlr says it’s a mid 95 Utility Gator. Turns out… if you remember my mention about my engine not being the original one…..lore has it “my” Gator was backed off into a pond on the farm I got it from while the water level was down in the early fall of 2005. They did so to pick up beer cans and other sunken debris out of the pond. Well they got it stuck on a Sunday evening and it started raining and kept raining for 3 more days and filled up the pond ! When the water finally went back down they had a wrecker winch it out. Then some brain surgeon decided to try and crank it and I’m sure that went well. They went ahead and loaded it the rollback and It was sent to the JD dealer in LaGrange,,Ga. That model Gator was to have the AS version of the Kaw FD620D. Well when I got it, It had the JS version. They replaced the engine with a brand new one that is a 10 year newer version. Pretty much the same engine. They said he got it back from the dealer in dec of 2005. Then the owner of the farm and Gator and all died within 6 months of pancreatic cancer. It sat there until March 31, 2019 when I took it home. I went through the whole thing, Gpam helped me even find the JD street legal kit with tail lights, brake lights, turn signals front and rear and a horn along with the wiring harness and switches and again was brand new !
Pm me if you need help or post a thread about a problem you are having. Thanks for reading!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts