John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6x4 Gator with the Cargo Box Power Lift kit, BM20701.

Lately, this lift kit barely has the power to lift the cargo box by itself. If there is any weight in the cargo box, then it won't lift at all but the motor just makes a fast clicking noise like it is trying real hard.
I took apart the gear box and the gears are clean with no missing or stripped teeth.
It appears to get full voltage on the motor side of the relays.

Is this a sign of a bad motor or is there something else that I could check?
Does anyone know the resistance (in Ohms) for the motor? I don't want to spend $300 on a part that won't fix this problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Check your ground, then I may run a hot feed direct from the battery and see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your ground, then I may run a hot feed direct from the battery and see if it makes any difference.
Thanks for the suggestion. The motor has two wires coming out of it that go to the relays. I think that the relays just switch the polarity on these two wires to change the direction. So I'm not sure where the ground actually is. I don't think that it is grounded through the motor housing. Do you know how this is grounded?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I connected the battery directly to the motor and it was still slipping. I took apart the gear box and then the clutch. Turns out that the clutch is worn. It has worn grooves in between the pockets where the ball bearings reside.
For reference for others: The Resistance of the motor is about 0.4 Ohms +/- 0.1 Ohm. This makes sense since it is supposed to draw ~30A from 12v.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I connected the battery directly to the motor and it was still slipping. I took apart the gear box and then the clutch. Turns out that the clutch is worn. It has worn grooves in between the pockets where the ball bearings reside.
For reference for others: The Resistance of the motor is about 0.4 Ohms +/- 0.1 Ohm. This makes sense since it is supposed to draw ~30A from 12v.
Thanks for being proactive and posting the motor resistance.

Any chance you can post pictures of the worn items?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my 6x4 and the same failure. You have two choices for replacement that don't involve JD. Northern Tool offers an actuator, item #74280 that is a direct fit and has 1100 lbs of dynamic load capacity. On sale now for $120. Other than that, do a search on ebay for an actuator with an 8" stroke. I bought one for $65 and it works perfectly with plenty of power, but sloooow. I've used both of these actuators and they wire in exactly as the original. Easy fix at a fraction of the money. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts