John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a gator and the wires are all pulled from the push button key switch, what wire goes to where? I see they are color coded but dont see any rhyme nor reason to what goes on the start button or the little toggle switch under it

Registered
If nobody answers your question, the technical manual typically has great wiring diagrams.

One must wonder why they were pulled and if there is a deeper problem that made them unload it. 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He thought the starter button was bad so I was trying to replace it but it was just spinning and apparently pulled out the wires. Now I do not know what goes to what. There are two points on the old button and the new one but which wires go together ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See attached electrical schematic - your questions will be answered with corresponding graphics and color-code wires - easy! Nice gator.
I have that but I am no electrician, Know idea which wires go together on each side of the push button and which one goes to the toggle switch

Administrator
I have that but I am no electrician, Know idea which wires go together on each side of the push button and which one goes to the toggle switch
In all honesty you probably should just wire in a OEM key switch

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sorted it out, had to make a drawing and double check everything but I think i got it now.

Toggle Switch
Red 200 / Yellow Red 400

Button Start
Black 110 Black 115 /Purple Blk 7 Orange White 11

now I need to clean out the carb and jets, do i need to remove the whole thing? I know it sat for years and it cranks but wont start with just gas but runs with ether

Registered
Take the carb apart and thoroughly clean each passage and confirm they have zero obstruction or foreign matter in them.

Also a great time to verify the float isn't gas soaked and providing the proper buoyancy.

Also assuming you've cleaned all the old fuel out of the tank and lines and the pump is in good shape.

Registered
Pages 231,233,280-282 on the electrical schematic I sent. Pages 231 and 233 will give wire color and wire gauge, page 280 will show the back of the key switch (S2) and wire position. Anything labeled (S2) on page 281 refers to the start switch under the termination points column. Circuit number is listed on the far left column under circuit number. Your pictures show all the wires that are related to the Key Switch (S2). I agree with Bradhill unless you are well versed in reading electrical schematics who knows what the previous guy did. I am guessing the push button is for starting - momentary contact which goes to the starter relay and the toggle switch is for system energizing and lights, etc. The gear box needs to be in neutral as the start sequence electrical circuit goes through the gear neutral switch (S1). I sincerely hope this helps you, I know it is confusing but reviewing the diagrams it will become clear to you.

Attachments

Administrator
Pages 231,233,280-282 on the electrical schematic I sent. Pages 231 and 233 will give wire color and wire gauge, page 280 will show the back of the key switch (S2) and wire position. Anything labeled (S2) on page 281 refers to the start switch under the termination points column. Circuit number is listed on the far left column under circuit number. Your pictures show all the wires that are related to the Key Switch (S2). I agree with Bradhill unless you are well versed in reading electrical schematics who knows what the previous guy did. I am guessing the push button is for starting - momentary contact which goes to the starter relay and the toggle switch is for system energizing and lights, etc. The gear box needs to be in neutral as the start sequence electrical circuit goes through the gear neutral switch (S1). I sincerely hope this helps you, I know it is confusing but reviewing the diagrams it will become clear to you.
Through Green Farm Parts a rotary switch is around 35.00 and a key is about 2.50 plus shipping. If you go this route make sure you select the correct switch based upon the last six digits of the PIN.

Reactions: eyeboltman
1 - 11 of 11 Posts