John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New to the forum and in need of some help. I have a 6X4 Gator, maybe 8 years old. Was having problems with grinding while putting it in gear. Found the issue was the primary clutch and replaced that. All good there now, but seems that the machine is now somehow "stuck" in neutral. Shift level position was in forward, but machine rolled fine, leading me to believe it is actually in neutral. I suspect that the shift lever got jammed hard trying to force it into gear when the clutch wasn't working right. Now it seems jammed in the transmission. I disconnected the shift linkage -- no problem there. But shift lever won't budge. Any ideas???

·
Registered
813 Posts
So, with the machine off and your hand on the shift lever on the transmission it won't budge? You mentioned that the machine will roll but have you tried manually turning the driven clutch and see if it will go into gear?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's right. With the shifter linkage disconnected (it moves freely when disconnected), the shifter lever attached to the transmission will not move. If connected, the shifter lever is in the forward position, but the gator can roll freely. I fear the tranny/transaxle is screwed up???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention that I have tried to rock the gator and have turned the clutch by hand. No help. I have also bypassed the neutral safety switch and run the gator -- primary and secondary clutch seem to work fine, but when gator should move, a rattling noise comes from the tranny

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ouch! I don't like the sound of that. I was hoping it was just bound up somehow and rocking the driven clutch would free it or maybe a linkage problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any idea how involved a job it is take out and tear down the tranny? Are parts available?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Deere is usually good about parts for older machines. The price for the parts is a different issue.

Here is a link for Deere parts and prices. In the center where the window says select scroll way down to the bottom and click on "utility vehicle". Then select your Gator. Then you'll have access to the parts lists and prices for the entire machine.

You might also start searching for someone parting out a wrecked machine or one that was driven into water too deep that killed the engine. It might be cheaper to buy the whole trans-axle used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts