John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm negotiating to buy an older (90's) 6x4 Gator. Will it fit in an F-150 long bed? The specs say it's too wide to roll in without climbing over the wheel wells, but will it otherwise fit? The rear axle will presumably be supported by the tailgate. This particular one doesn't run, so the "climb over" might be difficult...

·
Registered
152 Posts
how on earth did you fit that? my gator is a little over 5 feet wide, and i know the bed on my pickup truck isnt much wider than that. plus a 4x2 weighs about 1500 pounds, the 6x4 is prob a lot more

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The manual says a 6x4 weighs in at 1050lb. At 60" wide, it easily fits in a standard bed, but the front wheels have to climb over the wheel wells. My project Gator doesn't run, so we used a fork lift to push it over the humps. Tailgate doesn't close, though. Actually, there's a photo of a 6x4 in a pickup in the Operator's Manual.

·
Registered
152 Posts
wow that is awesome. does it have the normal fat tires on the front and back? they bulge out and use a bit of space. how did you manage to get it out? My concern would be weight on the tailgate. I could find no record of the weight of the machine in any manual online. If you are going to rebuild this thing, please start a thread and keep us posted. its always great to see old machines brought back to life.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure this machine is "normal". The turf tires stick out slightly from the fenders, but the overall width is 60". There was at least 6" to spare on the sides of the truck bed. With the front wheels over the wheel well humps, the aft axle was about half on the tailgate and half on the main bed. Not a weight problem at all.
I unloaded it by levering a 2x6 under the front frame to lift the front end over hump. Then it just backed itself down my ramps in a sort of controlled fall.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sort of a controlled fall...I love that explanation.

There's a thread here somewhere about an 825i in the bed of a pickup as well. Need to have the narrow front tires and rims all around for it to fit. The fella included a few picson the thread as well.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts