John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a older gas engine gator. We ran it out of gas and I couldn’t get it to start after refueling. I thought maybe the fuel pump went out so I replaced it. I also replaced the fuel filter and plugs. It now will start and run about 5-10 seconds and then cut off. I’m getting plenty of spark and fuel I just can’t figure out why it’s cutting off. Before running out of gas it ran great. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
813 Posts
It sure sounds like a fuel problem. How many times have you tried starting it? Sometimes the engine can be starved until fuel gets through the new pump and filter so replacing both might mean it needs more time cranking to get the fuel to the carb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried to start it a lot of times. I would guess its started and cut off around 20-30 times. I've taken the fuel line off at carb and turned key on to make sure new pump was working. It seemed to have a good flow of fuel pumping out. To me it sounds like its almost getting too much fuel. Not sure if that possible? if I press the gas peddle down when it does start it cuts off a lot faster than 10 seconds. I have a couple videos just not sure how to post them on here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've tried to start it a lot of times. I would guess its started and cut off around 20-30 times. I've taken the fuel line off at carb and turned key on to make sure new pump was working. It seemed to have a good flow of fuel pumping out. To me it sounds like its almost getting too much fuel. Not sure if that possible? if I press the gas peddle down when it does start it cuts off a lot faster than 10 seconds. I have a couple videos just not sure how to post them on here.
When

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a older gas engine gator. We ran it out of gas and I couldn’t get it to start after refueling. I thought maybe the fuel pump went out so I replaced it. I also replaced the fuel filter and plugs. It now will start and run about 5-10 seconds and then cut off. I’m getting plenty of spark and fuel I just can’t figure out why it’s cutting off. Before running out of gas it ran great. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I think you'll need to pull the carb off and clean out the float bowl, I had exactly the same issue. There is a drain screw on the side of the carb you could try first, but even though mine had sediment and dirt come out it didn't improve it much. Dropping the float bowl off the carb reveled some black stuff ( possibly fuel pipe decomposing) in the bottom of the carb. Cleaned that out and she flies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts