John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, New gator owner and first time post.

I purchased a "restored" 6x4 with the Diesel engine. After getting stuck in the woods with a dead battery I did some diagnostics and found the battery was not charging. I spent the $$$$$ to get a new alternator from JD (The serial and model tag was missing on this machine, that was PIA). With the new alternator in I am still finding that at idle it is having trouble charging the battery. I turned the idle up so it is at least maintaining.

My solution, at this point, is to try and measure the shaft of the alternator and buy a smaller pully so it spins faster at idle.

Note, the dude who rebuilt it hot wired the fans (there are two) so they are always on, that might be drawing all my power, feel like it should still be able to keep up with that.

Cheers,

Rag_Tag

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
It’s highly unlikely the small alternator is keeping up with two cooling fans running at idle.

Wouldn’t it be simple enough to temporarily discount fans to see the alternator performs as required?

Did you bother to test wiring within the charging system using voltmeter?

I’d fix the fan operation regardless of alternator/charging issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s highly unlikely the small alternator is keeping up with two cooling fans running at idle.

Wouldn’t it be simple enough to temporarily discount fans to see the alternator performs as required?

Did you bother to test wiring within the charging system using voltmeter?

I’d fix the fan operation regardless of alternator/charging issues.
"It’s highly unlikely the small alternator is keeping up with two cooling fans running at idle." Thanks I was not sure what these are supposed to be able to handle.

"Wouldn’t it be simple enough to temporarily discount fans to see the alternator performs as required?" On the list of things to try, but I don't drive it far or fast usually. Mostly use it for gathering firewood around the property so it mostly idles, so I imagine the fans will be on most of the time any way.

"Did you bother to test wiring within the charging system using voltmeter?" I have, mostly consistent voltages, through the system.

"I’d fix the fan operation regardless of alternator/charging issues. " Yes, on the list, but, as I say above it mostly idles around so I expect the fans to be on a lot anyway.

Thanks for the relpy!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
You may be surprised how little the fans come on if operating correctly… at least this is my experience with the 855D.

Electric fans generally draw a lot of current.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

·
Administrator
4,275 Posts
I believe the issue you’re experiencing is the dual fan setup, which is possibly drawing twice the amperage. With the cost of a new fan assembly of $552.00, I can understand why the previous owner tried another setup.

FYI, the spec on the OEM fan motor is a 10 amp draw, I suggest you pick up a copy of the Technical Manual for this model, it will help you “un do” previous modifications.

Font Number Circle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the issue you’re experiencing is the dual fan setup, which is possibly drawing twice the amperage. With the cost of a new fan assembly of $552.00, I can understand why the previous owner tried another setup.

FYI, the spec on the OEM fan motor is a 10 amp draw, I suggest you pick up a copy of the Technical Manual for this model, it will help you “un do” previous modifications.

View attachment 15216
Thanks for that info, that is useful to know. Ill screw around with the fans and given that amperage curve taking down that pulley diameter may help. These 6x4's were made for a long time. With out a serial number how would I know what manual to pick up.

·
Administrator
4,275 Posts
Thanks for that info, that is useful to know. Ill screw around with the fans and given that amperage curve taking down that pulley diameter may help. These 6x4's were made for a long time. With out a serial number how would I know what manual to pick up.
I don’t believe you will be able to overcome the stator output ?

Typically this models PIN or Product Identification Number was located near the rear hitch area, if not there or visible there might be a stamp under the seat ? If not pull the serial number off the engine contact Deere they should be able to match the motor to the frame in their warranty system.

I believe the TH was introduced in 2006.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Link to copy of the Operators Manual for early TH below:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don’t believe you will be able to overcome the stator output ?

Typically this models PIN or Product Identification Number was located near the rear hitch area, if not there or visible there might be a stamp under the seat ? If not pull the serial number off the engine contact Deere they should be able to match the motor to the frame in their warranty system.

I believe the TH was introduced in 2006.

View attachment 15222

Link to copy of the Operators Manual for early TH below:

Thanks! I brought the engine numbers to my local dealer and they said there was nothing they could do with it :/ . I will check under the seat but I didnt notice any thing there before. Thank you for that break down of the years. That will help a lot to narrow things down. Cheers!

·
Administrator
4,275 Posts
Thanks! I brought the engine numbers to my local dealer and they said there was nothing they could do with it :/ . I will check under the seat but I didnt notice any thing there before. Thank you for that break down of the years. That will help a lot to narrow things down. Cheers!
If you checked with the parts counter, they may not have known to pull up the information in the “Warranty System”?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update. Weather is finally nice enough around here and I am caught up on other projects to get into messing around with this thing. Looks like the guy I bought it from ran the fans to an extra switch on the dash board that bypasses the temperature switch on the front radiator. It also looks like the radiator sensor is messed up. jiggling the wires interrupts the fans. So I will replace that sensor and so maybe I dont need the switch. I had diddled with that manual switch in the past and seemed to not do anything but that could be because the radiator sensor was calling for the fans to be on at the same time.

Thanks for all of the help!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the 2001 Diesel 6x4, when I started working on this thing it has sat for years, it had other problems but I quickly found out that the something was wrong with the wiring harness that went through the frame and the ignition switch was only getting 2-ish volts, I had to run a new wire for that but on the alternator there are two control pins and if they are not both getting 12 volts the alternator will not come on.

One of my two control wires was dead and it also disappeared into the wiring harness that goes down through the frame, I just ended up hot wiring both pins on the alternator to 12 volts and it has kept the battery charged up ever since, so this would be something to check on yours as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts