John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody!

I have a 1995 Gator 6x4, gas, with the Kawasaki 2cyl water-cooled engine. I pulled the engine to replace a bad head gasket. Got everything back in, now the electrical system is dead. I did have two "bundles" of wires that I was not sure about, one had 4 black wires terminated by a wire connector that a bolt goes through, the other was 4 tan or orange wires with the same size connector. I think those both attach to the lower right rear of the engine block where the ground wire from the battery is connected. Can anyone verify that for me?

If that is correct, the electrical is still dead. Turn on the key, nothing happens. No lights on dash, headlights won't work, bed lift won't work. I have checked the two relays in the very back where the small red wire from battery goes, cables are good on battery, battery is fully charged. Seems as though the hot wire back to the switch is not getting any voltage at all. Any ideas?

Or, does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for a gator that old?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1994 John Deere 6X4 Gas Gator.
70 Posts
I’d start at the starter on the engine as that will have a heavy gauge red wire that will go to positive post on the starter solenoid. Then there will be another heavy ref cable to go to the positive battery post. There will be a smaller set of red and black for the bed lift. There is a harness that comes from the dash. It runs under the front floor pan and comes out in the engine bay right in front of the transaxle. It then bends around to the passenger side and runs down the frame rail and has plugs and a red and black to go to the battery as well. Just trace them out. The wiredthat stayed in tha Gator should be close to where they were originally will still have bends and creases and you should be able to follow where they went. Manuals are avail at manuals.Deere.com and are about $45. DONT get the owners manual as it’s really not much there. Get either the shop or the technical manual. I have an owners in print and the tech manual in my iPhone in the books app. The tech manual is written in all the tech jargon and it explains how whatever system you are working on operates and all the specs. Doesn’t really tell how to fix. Shop manual is best bet! Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts