John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family has had this old beast for almost 20 years, and we put in some work as kids wrecking it plenty. Sat at my parents house for probably 6 years unused and my parents gave it to my husband and I because we have a farm. Well weve troubleshooted getting this thing running for quite some time now. New gas, new spark plugs, new battery, new fuel filter, cleaned the carburetor, but she still wont start. I have a tube leading from what I think is the carburetor (our buddy helped clean it and I was not around for the job)
15855842996013478985663527465877.jpg
158558435359322312474061809274.jpg
that goes nowhere, but has fuel that will pump through when key is on. It turns over, but wont catch. My manual doesnt have a picture or description of this tube anywhere that I can find. Please help, Im out of ideas!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Might want to consider adding the model number to the post.

Have confirmed spark at plugs?
Have you confirmed the carb has fuel in it?
Have you confirmed compression?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Model number W006X4X055429
Thanks for responding!

We haven't confirmed spark at plugs, my father in law attempted to, not sure he got one though. Bad coil maybe?
I feel like carb for sure has fuel in it because that tube fills with a bit and it's coming straight from the carburetor.
Any clue what that tube is? I thought maybe a vent, I pinched the end with some pliers, it seems as though it had a plug in it at some point.
Not sure how to check compression. I'm a serious amateur when it comes to engines, know how to check fluids and change oil/battery but that's it.

I misspoke though, it will turn over and start but wont stay running. Dies within seconds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts