John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of 80W oil laying around & was wondering if I can use it in the rear transaxle of my Gator TS (not 4x4). Not sure of the machine's model year but think it's from the mid 2000's.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
3,187 Posts
I believe John Deere specs HYGard Hydraulic JDM J20D or JDM J20C oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi @Bradhill thanks for offering to help. I've been using HyGard but was curious if I can also use this 80W transmission oil because I have lots of it laying around.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Most tractor hydraulic oil out there meets the JD spec including the stuff at Costco. Gear and hydraulic oil is not interchangeable. Hydraulic oil is typically in the 10/20 weight range equivalent and to the extent additives are used, they are very different that what's put into gear oil. The JD transmissions have tighter tolerances and seals designed for hydraulic oil use. Good way to mess up using the wrong product.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The generics that meet JD spec run between $45-53 up my way per 5 gallons. If you buy by the pail, I highly recommend the pump/hose cover that you can get on Amazon. Mine does 6oz/stroke which makes it easy to count out the proper fill.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where can I find the schematics for a John Deere 620i gator rear end on the net without paying for it

·
Super Moderator
3,187 Posts
Where can I find the schematics for a John Deere 620i gator rear end on the net without paying for it
Have not seen a “freebie” out there, try eBay pdf copies are considerably less than a paper copy. It will be the best $20.00 you will have spent on your Gator...lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts