John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people are having issues with the fuel pump relays on their 825s? Or any relays for that matter.
I purchased a 2016 xuv 825i a few weeks ago. (As of now it has ten hours on it) Can't be happier with the machine. I did however have a no start issue Thursday morning. Fuel pump did not cycle when I turned the key to the run position. Tried turning the key on and off a few times to get it to turn on with no luck.
It wasn't until I located the relay under the hood with intentions of swapping it for the fan relay did I get it to run. I never did swap them, only tapped on the outside of the box they are in. That was enough to get it to get the machine running.

Are the electrical components on these things that cheap? Should I be looking to replace all of my relays with higher quality parts? I need not have this issue when my wife and daughter are using this thing.

What say the gator forum?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just occurred again. Needed to cycle the key three or four times to get the relay to trip.
Guess I'll find a higher quality replacement when I get time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a 2013 825, the only electrical issue I had was the fuel pump harness that was under the driver seat, even though the manual has it under the passenger seat, the plug came apart enough so the fuel pump wouldnt run, once found I zip tied the plug together, no more issue..everything else is working good, no complaints on the 825...now watch I just jinxed myself..lol

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Just occurred again. Needed to cycle the key three or four times to get the relay to trip.

Guess I'll find a higher quality replacement when I get time.

I would be on the horn to my dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2013 825, the only electrical issue I had was the fuel pump harness that was under the driver seat, even though the manual has it under the passenger seat, the plug came apart enough so the fuel pump wouldnt run, once found I zip tied the plug together, no more issue..everything else is working good, no complaints on the 825...now watch I just jinxed myself..lol
Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look to see if this could be causing my issue.

Bradhill- I don't have time to play games with my dealer. I'd rather invest a few minutes correcting the problem than speaking to someone on the phone about it. I may contact them via email so there is a record of the issue. Just in case this becomes a bigger problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look to see if this could be causing my issue.

Bradhill- I don't have time to play games with my dealer. I'd rather invest a few minutes correcting the problem than speaking to someone on the phone about it. I may contact them via email so there is a record of the issue. Just in case this becomes a bigger problem.

There you go.. make sure there is record of the problem. Just in case!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Those relays are not typically an issue. You probably just have a dud. In your email, you might ask them to provide you a replacement relay under the warranty. I would hope that wouldn't be a problem if you explain the symptoms and solution as you've done here.

One other thing. Is your battery voltage 12+ volts?

·
Registered
250 Posts
If yur tapping on the relay and it works it may be a bad connection. The wire may have backed out of the block. Deere uses std Bosch or Helo relays. But.. It could be bad. Also as previously noted a bad connection at the plug from harness to fuel pump under the seat area.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If yur tapping on the relay and it works it may be a bad connection. The wire may have backed out of the block. Deere uses std Bosch or Helo relays. But.. It could be bad. Also as previously noted a bad connection at the plug from harness to fuel pump under the seat area.

I contacted my salesman about the no start that occurred on thanksgiving. He's going to have the service manager get in touch with me. All I did was suggest they provide me a new relay that I would be willing to install. I'm damn sure Deere will not be willing to send me parts just figured no harm in asking. I also know for sure without a doubt the chance of it not starting for them is slim, isn't that how it always goes.

Unless something is majorly wrong with it I dont want to deal with the hassle of dropping it off and picking it up. Probably a two hour round trip. Plus it would be the first time I ever used this service dept. No telling what I'm going to be getting. ;)

At this point I have moved a bunch of stuff around to get it to fit in my shop. This is because the man in the brown van is dropping off a few more things tomorrow :D I will be installing a set of rear work lights, a front light bar and some interior LED lighting. The interior lights are for my little girl. Being outside in the "buggy" at night is a new experience for her. Having some lights to throw on for her will be nice. Anyhoo this should give me the opportunity to look at what is there to find loose connections etc.
It will also give me an opportunity to look the machine over to see where I can make improvements. Not sure why I'm not seeing any zerk fittings on the suspension. I need to get to the oil filter too.

Guess we'll see,

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts

I contacted my salesman about the no start that occurred on thanksgiving. He's going to have the service manager get in touch with me. All I did was suggest they provide me a new relay that I would be willing to install. I'm damn sure Deere will not be willing to send me parts just figured no harm in asking. I also know for sure without a doubt the chance of it not starting for them is slim, isn't that how it always goes.

Unless something is majorly wrong with it I dont want to deal with the hassle of dropping it off and picking it up. Probably a two hour round trip. Plus it would be the first time I ever used this service dept. No telling what I'm going to be getting. ;)

At this point I have moved a bunch of stuff around to get it to fit in my shop. This is because the man in the brown van is dropping off a few more things tomorrow :D I will be installing a set of rear work lights, a front light bar and some interior LED lighting. The interior lights are for my little girl. Being outside in the "buggy" at night is a new experience for her. Having some lights to throw on for her will be nice. Anyhoo this should give me the opportunity to look at what is there to find loose connections etc.

It will also give me an opportunity to look the machine over to see where I can make improvements. Not sure why I'm not seeing any zerk fittings on the suspension. I need to get to the oil filter too.

Guess we'll see,

Please post pictures!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
UPDATE:
Well,the problem persisted to the point that I had the dealer send me a new relay. I never got a chance to install it until after I spent a week in Cancun (yea I know poor me right��) Prior to leaving I parked the gator in my shop. Once I got home she wouldn't start. Fuel pump wouldn't run no matter what I did including swapping in the new relay.

Fast forward,
Dealer came and picked it up from my house. Fuel pump was replaced under warranty. Here's the kicker... service manager said the fuel in my gator was HIGHLY contaminated. This could have led to the untimely demise of the pump. They are not trying to pin the failure on me but wanted to let me know this. At this point I have only added four+/- gallons of fuel to the machine since taking delivery. I am also positive the fuel I added was fresh and clean. I have multiple small engines I fuel with that same can and never had any issues.

I think the storage tank the dealer used to fill the machine prior to me taking delivery is the cause. Or it came from the factory with crap in the tank the accumulated during manufacturing process. Besides, I can't imagine the pump doesn't have a screen on the pickup to protect the impeller.

Cliff notes,
Fuel pump worked sometimes.
Sometimes on start up the pump sounded like it would "labor"before running normally.
Dealer replaced pump and claims contaminated fuel " could have been the cause"

This all took place before I ever added any fuel to the machine after taking delivery.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Be glad that you dont have an earlier model... my relay is built into the a "relay module" that controls all kinds of junk. $100+ :(

And I have an intermittent problem with voltage to the pump, so it might be the culprit(havent finished testing yet). For now, all I have to do is quickly switch the key off/on as soon as I hear the engine tone change(from losing fuel pressure) and it comes right back on.

EDIT: Just wanted to update this post for those researching... The underhood relay module was, in fact, the problem with the intermittent fuel pump issues. Replaces it a couple years ago and it hasn't had one hiccup since. Part was a little over $100.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A 2016 model sold in 2017 with no hours on it. Sounds like this gator sat with very little fuel in it. Dealers don't top off the tanks to let them sit on the lot. I've had to change fuel pumps that failed that were covered with rust. The only thing I could come up with was that they sat with very little fuel in them. The fuel pump has a screen on the bottom of it. If it gets clogged from debris or old fuel the only way to repair it is to replace the screen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good morning! Working on trouble shooting an issue on my '13 825 and came across your post. A brief summary of my issues...

1. Bought used and love it!! Starts as it should, no issues and is truly a workhorse.
2. Had a case when I tried to start it and the fuel pump would not cycle. Towed the machine home... later that day, turned key and machine worked perfect!
3. Had little confidence in the situation, so decided to change fuel pump. Purchased new and replaced. Upon completion, the new pump sounded like it was straining to get pressure. (new symptom). Thought things might clear up, so i ran the machine for several months. No issues where the machine would not start, but the struggling pump continues to be an issue.
4. Decided to swap back the original fuel pump to see if there was a different outcome. The same "struggling" condition persists.

As best as I can determine, there is sufficient voltage to the pump and the wiring seems sound. There is only 3000 miles on the machine and it is well maintained. I purchased a new fuel filter and plan on replacing it, but really don't think that this will solve anything. I am mostly interested in a follow-up from you, "Dingaling", what was the end result of your fuel management dilemma?

Thanks in advance for the guidance here!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Be glad that you dont have an earlier model... my relay is built into the a "relay module" that controls all kinds of junk. $100+ :(

And I have an intermittent problem with voltage to the pump, so it might be the culprit(havent finished testing yet). For now, all I have to do is quickly switch the key off/on as soon as I hear the engine tone change(from losing fuel pressure) and it comes right back on.
What’s your relay module look like I have an earlier model I’m rebuilding and can’t get power to the pump

·
Registered
171 Posts
What’s your relay module look like I have an earlier model I’m rebuilding and can’t get power to the pump
I don't know if I ever updated everyone on my situation, but that relay DID fix my problem. It's under the hood, up against the "firewall", best I can remember it's about 5x5x1 inches. Looks sorta like a computer board, with 5 or so fuses on it.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Alexjcaro,

Suggest applying the proper electrical diagnostics to identify your root cause. If your're troubleshooting method is simply to replace parts follow Hillbillybuba's recommendation and if that doesn't work you can buy a new wiring harness, maybe a new fuse block and so on.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Alexjcaro,

Suggest applying the proper electrical diagnostics to identify your root cause. If your're troubleshooting method is simply to replace parts follow Hillbillybuba's recommendation and if that doesn't work you can buy a new wiring harness, maybe a new fuse block and so on.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
My recommendation isn't to just replace parts. I troubleshot my issues for 2 years before finally narrowing it down to the relay block or the PCM.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts