John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My stepfather just purchased a new Gator 825. In high gear, it will only do 10 mph at about 4k rpm. Low gear is even slower. It appears that there is something not right about an adjustment or something to increase the gear ratio in high gear mode. Any comments welcomed. He is going to call the dealer on Monday, but it is Sunday and I would like to see if there is anything simple to consider.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have a problem for sure. Make sure your brakes are released...
If it rolls in neutral then get it in to your dealer.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you taken the CVT cover off and inspected the clutches?????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brake is off for sure. Have not taken anything apart. Was hoping it was something simple. He will call the dealer tomorrow and I will update if we learn anything. It seems that it is just stuck in low range, but there is definitely a difference between low and high range, although high range is still too low.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An update on the issue. The John Deere dealer came out to the house and said everything was "normal". The 825i has a high revving 3 cylinder engine. With the continuously variable speed transmission, it revs very high (about 4K rpm) up to about 10 mph. As the revs rise above that, the continuous speed transmission begins to increase the gear ratio, allowing it to then increase in speed up to 44 mpg at around the same rpm. Given the high rpms, we never tried going above 4-4.5K rpm as it was screaming (in rpm terms) at that point. Frankly speaking, this system is annoying. It is very noisy at low speeds at the high rpm's, then only gaining speed as the rpms increase above that. I understand how it works, but if it were me, I could not tolerate this kind of system. Anyway, that is the situation with this model. Thanks for eveyone's response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts