John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 2012 Gator 825i. I just rolled a 1000 miles on it. Im on my 3rd drive belt. It kicks out of gear when your cruising at a high speed and Ive noticed the CV boots on the rear are all twisted up. I figured that they would be a dependable machine. Ive also learned not to go thru water holes about 18" deep. Im guessing the belt gets wet and it will not pull. I bought two of them for servicing gas wells. The other one is on its 2nd drive belt and only has 150 miles on it. Does everyone have this much trouble with these?

·
Registered
32 Posts
These machines are made to take some abuse, but John Deere will tell themselves that they are UTILITY vehicles. Not swamp buggies. I have seen a quite a few clutch conditions on different gator models. You said your traveling in water possibly submerging the drive belt? When you submerge the drive belt in muddy water, the muddy water acts as a lubricant for the belt causing the belt to create more friction resulting in a glazed drive belt that the clutches can't grab onto. The jumping out of gear sounds like a cable adjustment issue. I don't care for a belt driven CVT myself, theres nothing like a good ole wet clutch automatic transmission.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Yes they are not swamp buggies, but you can do things to help get you to where you need to go. You should be able to go into water deep enough that it does not come into the CVT Intake or Exhaust. You can take the cover off, pull the clutches, and pull the back cover. Clean it and seal it to the motor and tranny. Reintall clutches and seal the cover to the inner cover. Then you can go deeper than 18".

If you want to go deeper or want it for protection and if you are a mud rider, you will have to snorkel the machine.

They are not made for deep water riding, but a lot of ppl ride in deep water and mud and some ppl have to, to get to where they are working. Like on a pipeline.

Depending on how you drive also determines the belt life. A good rule of thumb is if you are in a hard pull or you are staying around 20 mph and under, use low. High can burn a belt up doing slow speeds. Also, belt break in is a good thing, once you glaze or smoke a belt, that helps shorten its life. I have owned CVT Belt Driven machines for years and I have only blown 1 belt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Guess i'm too old fashion. Or just cheap. I've seen people take atv's, xuv's, and atc's and float them across roads, ponds, and ditches. If'n I was pulling up the rear, I might would invest in 4 35gallon plastic drums and a trolling motor and mount that on my machine to get across. Or a boat instead.:D

·
Registered
242 Posts
So I only have 24 hrs on mine ...was experiencing the hammering in drive only when taking off...Thought to be an adjustmestment issue ...being I have not been in 2' of water yet...mud yes...Wow..this is a good mudder rig, and very good on trails..Snow you are gonna get stuck...Has to be an adjustment issue for me...I guess?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Fred......it sounds like an adjustment issue to me. Have you taken it to the dealer???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put the belt back on my Gator and I'm back in service. Now when I give it gas it hesitates before it takes off, you really have to get after it before it will start moving. Also its a bear to shift, that was kind of an issue before I replaced the belt but now you really have to jiggle with force to get from one gear to another.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Ya they said nothing was wrong...Its very intermittent...I guess it could be me how I put into Gear...But doubt it
I bet the PiP on the shifting and shifter will solve these problems.

I put the belt back on my Gator and I'm back in service. Now when I give it gas it hesitates before it takes off, you really have to get after it before it will start moving. Also its a bear to shift, that was kind of an issue before I replaced the belt but now you really have to jiggle with force to get from one gear to another.
I have to sometimes give mine a little gas. I am thinking this PiP will solve this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 2016 825i i replaced drive belt at 300 hours because it was coming apart and i had the one i put on blow up on me at 356 hours and i was wondering if it needed to be tightened or if i was doing something to make them come apart.

·
Administrator
4,314 Posts
i have a 2016 825i i replaced drive belt at 300 hours because it was coming apart and i had the one i put on blow up on me at 356 hours and i was wondering if it needed to be tightened or if i was doing something to make them come apart.

Clean the new belt with hot soapy water (Dawn) this will help remove the molding agents used in the manufacturing process. This will help improve the longevity, however these Gators need to operated in low gear when on uneven or hilly terrain.

·
Administrator
4,314 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.