John Deere Gator Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A quick update on this one. Got the trans all back together and re-installed last week. Filled with a fresh gallon of Hy-Gard. Works like a champ. Before this, even the slightest amount of throttle/load and the trans would jump out of high range gear. Now I can go full throttle up a hill from a stop with no issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI paoutdoorsman good work.
I was reading the description of your issue and I think you could help me.
I am experiencing a similar issue. My Gator (model 8251 S4) seems to not increase the speed. The speed never goes higher than 21 mph at more than 5k rpms. You see that it does not move smooth.

The clutch seems to move in and out and you press or release the throttle. I don’t know if that could still be a problem with the clutch or can be inside the transmission.
What do you recommend. This is the first Gator I have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
one more think that i would like to add.
the gator it look like it never shift gear. (i know this is not like an automatic transmission. this is a CVT Transmission type) but it never go at high engage inside the transmission. it look like is always is the higher torque gear.

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts

I am experiencing a similar issue. My Gator (model 8251 S4) seems to not increase the speed. The speed never goes higher than 21 mph at more than 5k rpms. You see that it does not move smooth.

The clutch seems to move in and out and you press or release the throttle. I don’t know if that could still be a problem with the clutch or can be inside the transmission.

Hello @SPGarden- Have you owned this Gator since new, or is this a new issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI
Bradhill

NO, i have not owned this gator since new, actually i just bought it in an auction. it has 215 hours and about 3k miles. it looks very new. do you have any idea of what it could be.
do you think that it clutch be the clutch or the internal transmission.

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
Any chance you could get the primary clutch part number off the clutch? This would require removing the CVT intake and outer CVT cover.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Have you checked to make sure you have the correct belt? I would remove the cover over the CVT system so you can watch them, removing the bed helps. Then have a helper ride along and watch the clutches and belt when you drive. As you drive at full throttle on level ground you want to see the belt climb smoothly all the way to the top of the primary/drive clutch (the clutch on the engine). You want to see the secondary/driven clutch do the opposite. As you drive the secondary clutch should open allowing the belt to smoothly transition to the lowest part of the clutch.

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

@SPGarden - I do not believe you have an internal transmission issue. I don't want to oversimplify, but make sure you are putting the Gator in high range. The speed on these machines is limited by the engine rev limiter which is right around 6,000 RPM. In high range, wide open throttle, your machine should run 42'ish MPH. Low range might be limited to around 21 MPH, but I honestly never explored that. I'll try it tonight.

If you are definately in high range, and still only able to achieve 21 MPH, then like dane mentioned, I would question if a drive belt that is too long was installed on the machine.

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
......If you are definately in high range, and still only able to achieve 21 MPH, then like dane mentioned, I would question if a drive belt that is too long was installed on the machine.

@SPGarden ...In addition to the belt length as mentioned by @dane there is a possibility you have a speed limiting clutch on your Gator, this is why I asked for a Part Number on the Primary Clutch.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts