John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have performed full tune up, clean air filter, cleaned in tank fuel filter and still having issues going downhill. If I keep my foot on the accelerator, no problem. Foot off and it grabs, barks and nearly locks up back end... Clutch? Belt? Transmission? Help!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,659 Posts
This is likely the EBS or engine braking system engaging.

Try feathering the throttle to keep the primary clutch engaged.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Take the belt cover off and watch the clutches ,it sound like the driven may be sticking, the back half is worn possibly .Also make sure the drive clutch is returning .Make sure the belt looks good .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced belt, cleaned both clutches with compressed air. Still having problems. Think it may be fuel delivery as this was one symptom solved when original pump failed and replaced. Removed pump and regulator, cleaned debris (dirt and brass shavings) from tank. No change. Fuel pump is not loud and performs under throttle but horrible when you take your foot off throttle. Feathering helps but this is not right. How do I check fuel pressure? Gauge availability?

·
Registered
633 Posts
With the clutch cover off, push on the primary clutch. It should move smoothly toward the motor with some pressure. If it doesn’t move smoothly against the spring it’s sticking. When everything works normally, if you go downhill with food off the gas pedal, it will freewheel downhill. Applying enough gas to engage the primary clutch will allow it to compression brake going downhill. It won’t feel or drive like a car or truck in a downhill situation.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The stickyness is mostly caused by too much slop on the shaft, if you can move the outer sheath from side to side its worn.

I normally suggest taking the 6 6mm bolts off and removing the spring to check if theres any excess movement.
This way you can also check the 3 rollers easily.
Any flatspots require a rebuild.

If you find no problems do remember to clock the imternals to the right spot: X mark to x mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts