John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still trying to gather more info before buying an 835i. Do you have any engine braking or hold back on steep hills in low range or even in high range or are the brakes your only option? JH

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey JH,

You get some engine braking (even in high range) but not as much as other CVT vehicles (ATVs only!) I've driven. That might have to do with the weight of the Gator. (From some posts on this and other forums, I suspect other side-by-sides have more engine braking than the Gator, but the Gator is one of the heavier ones out there.) It is sufficient to keep speed under control on all "road" grade angles, but I have to use brakes on steeper trails and hills in my fields.

Hope this helps! Try to get a demo ride if you can.

- Steve in the mist of CO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try shifting into low range when going down a hill and tap the throttle every now and them to keep the clutch engaged for engine braking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
New to the forum so Hello! I contacted Team today about the free wheeling down hill. This is the respnose.

At this moment we do not make a clutch that will be true engine braking. In the future we plan on having one. The best thing is to try to keep the clutch engaged while going down the hill. I know it sound funny to hit the gas when going down the hill, but once you get the hanging of it, it does work. (Just tap the gas pedal to keep the clutch engaged.)

Glenn Dohrer
TEAM Industries < Aftermarket

Mail 1637 Dan St Detroit Lakes MN 56501

Fax 218-844-5758

Phone 218-844-3283 extension 6

Mobile N/A

·
Registered
13 Posts
On steep inclines ( my driveway) I put the pup in "Low" then feather the throttle to keep it engaged and I never have to touch the brake. They really need to dump the free-wheeling feature in the clutch they have been like that for decades I can remember my Mule's doing the same thing.

Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
On steep inclines ( my driveway) I put the pup in "Low" then feather the throttle to keep it engaged and I never have to touch the brake. They really need to dump the free-wheeling feature in the clutch they have been like that for decades I can remember my Mule's doing the same thing.

Mike
I don't like the free wheeling either. I had an ATV that did that and got rid of it. I'll keep the Gator but hoping for the new clutch to come out soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just can't figure for the life of me why they would incorporate a free wheeling clutch in anything it serves no purpose - plus the down side is the drive train has to deal with the jerk when it re-engages.

Like I said my Mules 15 years ago had that goofy feature!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased my first 825i last year and was very disappointed with the down hill capability. It is not human nature to give it gas when you are on a steep descent!
I traded it this spring for the new 825i with power steering and a cab hoping they would fix this issue, but not yet... The low gear does seem lower, but it still free wheels. It even free wheeled when backing it off the dealers trailer. If Deere doesn't get this right I am going shopping for a different brand next year. John Deere if you are listening I would really like to speak to an engineer. I am a JD retiree, and have a second home on the bluffs of the Mississippi River in Iowa and would like you to experience this lack of critical performance.
Your low gear is not low enough yet!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had an 825i for approx 6mos this is an unbelievable vehicle what it is capable of. the engine braking is a little hard to get used to but then its not a big deal , it would be better if it didn't freewheel ,and would be even better if it was lower geared but other then that this 825 is some kind of machine.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm very surprised at what you have found with your new Gator. I have a warranty clutch in my 2012 that unlike the factory clutch, it engages at 1200 to 1300 Rpm and engine brakes with throttle off.

I am very curious. With it warmed up and idling, can you tell what RPM the clutch engages at? You should be able to watch the tachometer and very slowly add throttle and tell what the RPM is at the time the vehicle moves forward.

Your 2014 has an improved clutch with a bearing center roller, making it different from the previous models, but I would have thought that it would have retained the ratio profile that they worked out on previous models.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I own a 2014 825i gator , the free wheeling took a bit of getting used to , like they say you have to lightly tap the throttle to keep engine brake engaged but i found that if you keep your left foot lightly on the brake it wont try to run away while you are going down steep encline, works fine for me , have no other complaints about this machine , I have over a hundred hours on mine and so far seems to be every thing i expected.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts