John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the injector swap done, it’s time to move on to the exhaust.

I have already patched a couple of small pin holes with JB weld high temp, but there is a larger hole in the junction from the elbow AM146294 and the tail pipe AM146297. I haven’t pulled it off to see how bad it is but from my research, this is a common failure as a result of the design.

My intention is to patch it then see if I need to proceed with a muffler silencer or a different muffler all together like the Honda Civic swap depending on how much the noise is reduced by a functioning exhaust system.

My question is, the 2 parts are about $200 and are prone to leak again due to design. I’m wondering if having a custom exhaust fabricated would be a better solution and if so, can you tell me you experience and approximate cost of a custom system? I’ve never really dealt with a custom shop before. I’d prefer to only pay for this repair once so I don’t mind paying up, just wondering if it was worth it and if it held up well if anyone has done this before

While I’m at it, I’ll clean the oxygen sensor or do a swap to a standard 4 wire. JD’s $200 is a bit much.

Wannabe…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the injector swap done, it’s time to move on to the exhaust.

I have already patched a couple of small pin holes with JB weld high temp, but there is a larger hole in the junction from the elbow AM146294 and the tail pipe AM146297. I haven’t pulled it off to see how bad it is but from my research, this is a common failure as a result of the design.

My intention is to patch it then see if I need to proceed with a muffler silencer or a different muffler all together like the Honda Civic swap depending on how much the noise is reduced by a functioning exhaust system.

My question is, the 2 parts are about $200 and are prone to leak again due to design. I’m wondering if having a custom exhaust fabricated would be a better solution and if so, can you tell me you experience and approximate cost of a custom system? I’ve never really dealt with a custom shop before. I’d prefer to only pay for this repair once so I don’t mind paying up, just wondering if it was worth it and if it held up well if anyone has done this before

While I’m at it, I’ll clean the oxygen sensor or do a swap to a standard 4 wire. JD’s $200 is a bit much.

Wannabe…

I do believe where the exhaust meet,
(JD had a donut at that connection)
It didn't last 2 months. I gota new donut from JD but it didn't fit. I had to grind and file it to fit in between the pipes. Needless to say that it didn't last at all.. Because suspension and rough terrain are constantly changing the exhaust needs to be able to move also. I think making it solid would create more problems down the road. I still have not found an appropriate fix for my exhaust connection either.
I also tried an exhaust bandage, but it continues to leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pulled the shielding last night and here is what I’m working with.

Looks as if the tailpipe has rusted through allowing the connection where it steps down to collapse. Also looks to me the angle between the elbow and tail pipe is off and possibly could have been welded on before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts