John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
200 hours on my gator 825i 2015 model and im now having some sort of issue. I seem to have a clunk of sorts in the drive line somewhere. The best way to describe it would be it feeling like the passenger is randomly stomping a foot on the floor boards. It feels to me like its coming from underneath or under the seat area. It is not a constant noise and sometimes will not make the clunk for a little while, while other times it will clunk several times in a row. At first I thought it was just a stick or something jammed underneath somewhere but everything checks out and at this point its definitely some kind of drive line clunk or binding somewhere. Gator has not been driven hard. Used daily for feeding/watering animals mostly as well as generally moving around the property. Any input would be helpful. I am at a loss what could be happening.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know this is going to sound crazy but... look at your sway bar end links.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 4x4 does seem to be working. This did seem to start a day after I used the 4x4 more than usual. Hardly ever use it. The sway bar and links seem fine. Only happens when I'm on the throttle so seems like a drive line issue.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Check all your cv axles and make sure that they are all tight and none are broken. with 200 hours on it it might not hurt to change the diff in front and rear diffs. also check the main driveshaft it might be a universal joint in the main driveshaft has gone out. those are just some places i would start to help eliminate where the problem is coming from.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cv axels all move in and out from the wheel ever so slightly(which I think is correct to let the wheel movement take place) and none appear overly loose. Tonight after really exploring and checking everything I can find nothing noticeably wrong. I am however able to consistently make the clunk happen especially when almost coming to a stop. It feels/sounds like something is catching before coming to a stop. It is not the little click that happens when the clutch disengages as this noise happens before that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was getting a clunk from the front end on my 825 a while back and couldn't find it. Greased the suspension and it disappeared. The machine hadn't been neglected, serviced more than recommended. On and off the throttle will load and unload the front suspension. A longshot but worth a try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From old threads, and looking for gremlins in my 825i, it seems the driveline is the most likely problem.

Seems the problem arises from where the engine is directly connected to the transmission (solid, no rubber), which is directly connected to the driveshaft (solid, no rubber). While the engine and transmission have rubber mounts, this driveshaft does not.

Deere has come out with a new driveshaft that has a rubber isolated bearings. Contact your dealer and they should be able to help you. Tell them it is solution Number 87518.

Subject: Gator - Driveshaft solution

Solution Number: 87518
Solution Summary: Driveline Noise While Driving or in Neutral - 625i, 825i, and 855D
Publication Date: Oct 17 2011
Problem or Situation :
The drive shaft which connects the EMFWD to the transmission produces a noise while at certain engine speeds (typically from 3,000 - 3,800 rpm).
Solution :
If the sound is only noticed while moving at slow speeds, make sure the battery tray is not touching the drive shaft. Refer to DTAC solution 87470 for more information.
If the battery tray is not contacting the drive shaft verify the 2 pillow block bearings securing the drive shaft are tight. If noise is still present, remove the drive shaft and inspect the two pillow block bearings. While the drive shaft is out of the machine test to verify the noise is gone. If the noise is still heard the EMFWD and front axle shafts should be inspected. If the noise is not present with the drive shaft removed, order new front drive shaft bearing AM142310. This new bearing is rubber isolated which absorbs vibration and noise coming through the drive shaft. The new bearing should be installed in place of the front bearing which is underneath the floor board of the operator station.
*Note* Install bearing AM142310 in the front location on the drive shaft ONLY. Installing a bearing in both locations of the drive shaft does not lower noise any further and could result in secondary part failures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From old threads, and looking for gremlins in my 825i, it seems the driveline is the most likely problem.

Seems the problem arises from where the engine is directly connected to the transmission (solid, no rubber), which is directly connected to the driveshaft (solid, no rubber). While the engine and transmission have rubber mounts, this driveshaft does not.

Deere has come out with a new driveshaft that has a rubber isolated bearings. Contact your dealer and they should be able to help you. Tell them it is solution Number 87518.

Subject: Gator - Driveshaft solution

Solution Number: 87518
Solution Summary: Driveline Noise While Driving or in Neutral - 625i, 825i, and 855D
Publication Date: Oct 17 2011
____
Paper copies of solutions may not be the most current solutions
Complaint or Symptom :
A noise similar to knocking can be heard from the floorboard area between the driver and passenger. The noise is present in neutral or while driving with the engine around 3,300 rpm's.
Problem or Situation :
The drive shaft which connects the EMFWD to the transmission produces a noise while at certain engine speeds (typically from 3,000 - 3,800 rpm).
Solution :
If the sound is only noticed while moving at slow speeds, make sure the battery tray is not touching the drive shaft. Refer to DTAC solution 87470 for more information.
If the battery tray is not contacting the drive shaft verify the 2 pillow block bearings securing the drive shaft are tight. If noise is still present, remove the drive shaft and inspect the two pillow block bearings. While the drive shaft is out of the machine test to verify the noise is gone. If the noise is still heard the EMFWD and front axle shafts should be inspected. If the noise is not present with the drive shaft removed, order new front drive shaft bearing AM142310. This new bearing is rubber isolated which absorbs vibration and noise coming through the drive shaft. The new bearing should be installed in place of the front bearing which is underneath the floor board of the operator station.
Note Install bearing AM142310 in the front location on the drive shaft ONLY. Installing a bearing in both locations of the drive shaft does not lower noise any further and could result in secondary part failures.
I just bought the new bearing to install about a month ago to two months I replaced the other carrier bearing which I call it on the backend close to the gearbox of the main driveshaft about 3 to 4 weeks after installing I started hearing the noise that I heard before but only in the front by the feet which I figured that since neither carrier bearing had a grease cert on it they probably would go out about the same time I’ve tried to find the front carrier bearing I cannot get anything off to get to it it looks like the floor is tacked in place around the tunnel that houses the wiring what do I remove to get to the front carrier bearing I have purchased a new bearing with the rubber, one that was spoke of in this forum

·
Registered
249 Posts
If the noise is not present with the drive shaft removed, order new front drive shaft bearing AM142310. This new bearing is rubber isolated which absorbs vibration and noise coming through the drive shaft. The new bearing should be installed in place of the front bearing which is underneath the floor board of the operator station.

We recently replaced those bearings... I'll have to pay attention and see if that clunking noise went away. We just got used to it after a few years haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts