John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as I said in title my 825i is jumping out of gear in high range, if you hold it it runs fine. Low and reverse are no problems. I was climbing a hill when it jumped out the first time and now can't keep it in high, unless like I said you hang onto the gearshift. While holding it in gear it doesn't grind. Any thoughts is it linkage or in transmission itself.

·
*In memory and respect- RIP*
4,314 Posts
Well as I said in title my 825i is jumping out of gear in high range, if you hold it it runs fine. Low and reverse are no problems. I was climbing a hill when it jumped out the first time and now can't keep it in high, unless like I said you hang onto the gearshift. While holding it in gear it doesn't grind. Any thoughts is it linkage or in transmission itself.
Has the Gator ever been hard to shift into and out gear?

·
4,314 Posts
Nope, always been good and solid.
Suggest you check the linkage first and the shift quadrant at the shifter. There should be a slight gap (3/16) between the shifter rod and the quadrant when in low gear.

If that doesn’t help, I’m afraid you might have lost the high speed shift collar in the transmission.

·
4,314 Posts
ok thanks, I thought the linkage would be a good place to start. If not how hard is changing the collar in the transmission?
I have not changed shift collars. I suggest you pick up a copy of the Technical Manual for your Gator, if you don’t have a copy. Check eBay

·
Super Moderator
780 Posts
Jumping out of gear can be misadjusted shift lever.

Trouble getting in and out of gear with engine running is almost always the fault of the primary clutch. Very common on the 5XX and 8XX model Gators. The clutch doc can fix the primary clutch problem permanently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts