John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 825i. It seems to be running ok and then it just completely loses power and seems to bog down. We had an issue similar to this before where it ran poorly a few months ago. We checked all the normal things. Compression, new plugs, new fuel filter, etc. After changing the oxygen sensor (didn’t help) changed fuel injectors (didn’t help) we found a spark plug wire with a cut in it. Changed that and it seemed to run well for a few weeks. Now it’s got a huge random loss of power. The exhaust does smell odd and it is a white smoke. I can push the gas and it just doesn’t want to go. I can turn it off for a minute and it will run fine for a little while then lose power again. Any help would be nice.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
white smoke or steam?... Could be a head gasket.

Contaminated fuel?

Since it sounds like some of your data may be old (performed months ago and items have been replaced). Suggest starting from ground zero. Measure compression/leakdown test, read plugs, verify spark plug wire integrity (measure ohms and check for any insulation failures), drain fuel and supply with fresh know good fuel, check oil for fuel contamination, etc...

Gather data and report back.

Good luck and I hope it is something easy and inexpensive to fix.

Reactions: hillbillybubba

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Agree the number of one posters with hanging threads is high. It would be interesting to learn of the root cause and fix.

Reactions: Bradhill

·
Registered
249 Posts
It would be good to know what fixed it I have about the same problem, I think the coil is going bad
Does it run smoothly? A coil problem usually presents itself as either working, or not. So you would notice an abrupt loss of power. Not just a little sliggish.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 825i. It seems to be running ok and then it just completely loses power and seems to bog down. We had an issue similar to this before where it ran poorly a few months ago. We checked all the normal things. Compression, new plugs, new fuel filter, etc. After changing the oxygen sensor (didn’t help) changed fuel injectors (didn’t help) we found a spark plug wire with a cut in it. Changed that and it seemed to run well for a few weeks. Now it’s got a huge random loss of power. The exhaust does smell odd and it is a white smoke. I can push the gas and it just doesn’t want to go. I can turn it off for a minute and it will run fine for a little while then lose power again. Any help would be nice.
I had the same thing. What is happening is where the oxygen sensor is plugged in is corroded. So it will bog down for a little bit, then the computer will reset itself and it will go back to factory specs for a while. In time it will do it again. I ended up taking it to a friend that works on Gators for John Deere. It took him quite a while to find it, but ever since he replaced the corrosion in the plug it has run fine. You may end taking back to John Deere. Make sure you tell them what to look for because my guy had never seen it before and he works for John Deere!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Doesn't the computer change between open and closed loop at a specific temperature. IE: In cold temperatures it's running strictly off of program map for timing, injector pulse width, etc... once warm it stars to get feedback from O2 sensor and others to refine the parameters.

The fact that it runs poorly at lower engine temperatures should be a good clue to help isolate.

If what I wrote above is true, the O2 sensor doesn't come into play at lower temperatures.

Reactions: hillbillybubba

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had the same thing. What is happening is where the oxygen sensor is plugged in is corroded. So it will bog down for a little bit, then the computer will reset itself and it will go back to factory specs for a while. In time it will do it again. I ended up taking it to a friend that works on Gators for John Deere. It took him quite a while to find it, but ever since he replaced the corrosion in the plug it has run fine. You may end taking back to John Deere. Make sure you tell them what to look for because my guy had never seen it before and he works for John Deere!
Yes it will set a O 2 code sometime on the pins being corroded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts