John Deere Gator Forums banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
After Reading These Threads I've Noticed That No One Has Mentioned The Idle Speed. That Is Another Important Thing To Keep In Mind, If The Engine Isn't Coming Down To The Correct Idle The Clutch Will Not Disengage Fully. This Can Also Cause A Hard To Shift/Moving Without Pressing The Accelerator Issue.
This is true, but in my particular case the idle was the first thing we looked at. I should find something out this week and I will certainly share it with all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well the dealer called today, seems (as suspected) it is the clutch and it will cost around 675.00. I asked "well what do you think caused its premature failure?", Hmmm, "I don't know" he exclaimed, then I asked the dealer about any warranty consideration. He told me he could do nothing but invited me to call JD myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The delaer called today

Well the dealer called today, seems (as suspected) it is the clutch and it will cost around 675.00. I asked "well what do you think caused its premature failure?", Hmmm, "I don't know" he exclaimed, then I asked the dealer about any warranty consideration. He told me he could do nothing but invited me to call JD myself.
Well I am not totally surprised. Here is my problem with this whole situation. As an American, I want to buy American products and keep money in our economy. However, when American companies do not provide a quality product, it makes me want to spend my money where I am getting quality products. This is the very issue that got American Automakers into trouble. I read on this forum where the choke problem is a known issue by Deere.

If it is a known issue, why the heck isn't JOHN DEERE doing something about it?? Well I learned an expensive lesson, that being, you cannot put any stock (faith) in name brands. Obviously, JOHN DEERE doesn't care about their reputation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
John Deere would admit i'm sure they have some issues with primary clutches. However, its up to your local dealer to correctly diagnose and repair the problem. John Deere says to repair the clutches rather replacing them. The clutches are machined too tightly therefore will attempt to seize after repeated use. This is an issue for the clutch manufacture! Not John Deere! Yes John Deere should inform the clutch manufacture of the issues so adjustments can be performed during assembly. However, John Deere recognizes the problem and tells technicians to polish certain components of the clutch to correct the issue. Well guess what?! It works! So its up to your dealer to find and accept this information and make repairs as needed. I agree completely with John Deere, why replace the failed component with another that will fail shortly after the new one is installed, when a simple repair can correct the issue. Keep in mind that this clutch manufacture produces clutches for not just John Deere. If you researched that brand of clutch with other equipment, i'm sure you'll find there maybe some issues there as well.
Duramax, I understand your point. However, why would John Deere knowingly accept and buy products from a company when they know the JOHN DEERE name is going to be soiled by malfunctioning parts? I work for one of the biggest corporations in the world and THEIR NAME means everything. They have mandatory classes that every employee must take regardless of job title/function. The reason they educate people about name brand and reputation is because it can either further business or destroy a company. If an employee does anything to soil the reputation of this firm, you can and will be fired on the spot. They can even file civil litigation against you. So my point is this...if John Deere knows there is a problem..wouldn't you think they would reach out to the clutch provider and say, get it right or we are taking our business elsewhere?

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
864 Posts
Now that you've brought it up I don't know of any other variable ratio pulley clutch manufacturers. There are small ones for go carts from Comet but I don't know of anyone else making them in the size needed for a UTV.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes, as far as I know there is only one manufacturer. It appears that Deere has worked with them to correct the clutch problems. It took awhile, but if it is taken care of and they retrofit customers, that is a positive statement about Deere.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lets say john deere's gators were so terrible now that they quit producing them! Do you think john deere would go out of business? NO, NO, and NO! John Deere gators are just a tiny microscopic piece of that company. Maybe its going to take bold for everybody to read and comprehend. JOHN DEERE IS AWARE OF THE CONDITION AND IS IN THE PROCESS OF CORRECTING THE ISSUE. There seems to be threads posted here with statements that could be answered if previous posts were read. The clutch manufacturer is Comet and they produce a wide range of clutches from golfcarts to fourwheelers to side by sides. Don't believe me? Put on a uniform, grab a bag of wrenches, and start working on people's luxurious.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes, as far as I know there is only one manufacturer. It appears that Deere has worked with them to correct the clutch problems. It took awhile, but if it is taken care of and they retrofit customers, that is a positive statement about Deere.
The question is have they addressed the issue. I see reports of 2013 owners still with clutch problems. It could be more than one issue and sometimes you can see the other problems until you fix the first one. They do not seem to be fully covering repair expenses and seems to be up to the dealer or the owner to discuss with JD. Of course, unless it is a gross issue, they are just not going to automatically cover every repair since some can be due to misuse.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is disappointing that JD could not engineer a better clutch, it’s obviously been an issue for a long time. I did buy JD because I thought it was a better product than its competitors. If this clutch is the only hick-up with my gator than I actually have no regrets about buying it. With all that said, I don’t think we can any longer think about buying American, we are a global society and good and services come from all over the world.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes Bunky, as best I can tell, the ball bearing inner sleeve is not the end all fix for this problem. There is still the potential for the spider to be set up too tight.

You are also correct in that J.D. still seems to, at least some times, claim misuse when the clutch has actually been set up too tight. They did in the case of my clutch and I know for sure that it saw no misuse. In this case the dealer seemed to be a bit ignorant of the issue and were just being a Myna Bird, repeating what J.D. had told them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have a gator/comet primary clutch on my rig. The clutch is from a gator, but not in a gator. It too had siezed and was going to be tossed into the trash. A brand new clutch! If you can't get the dealer to fix it. Maybe its time for some DIY. After all, the old saying is true (If you want it done right, you've got to do it yourself). If you were to disassemble the clutch, you will find it is not that difficult to find the problem and correct it. Its time to accept it for what it is and see if there is a way you can fix these issues yourself if no one else will. Or just sell it and move on as i stated several post back.:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
John Deere would admit i'm sure they have some issues with primary clutches. However, its up to your local dealer to correctly diagnose and repair the problem. John Deere says to repair the clutches rather replacing them. The clutches are machined too tightly therefore will attempt to seize after repeated use. This is an issue for the clutch manufacture! Not John Deere! Yes John Deere should inform the clutch manufacture of the issues so adjustments can be performed during assembly. However, John Deere recognizes the problem and tells technicians to polish certain components of the clutch to correct the issue. Well guess what?! It works! So its up to your dealer to find and accept this information and make repairs as needed. I agree completely with John Deere, why replace the failed component with another that will fail shortly after the new one is installed, when a simple repair can correct the issue. Keep in mind that this clutch manufacture produces clutches for not just John Deere. If you researched that brand of clutch with other equipment, i'm sure you'll find there maybe some issues there as well.
Duramax, I understand your point. However, why would John Deere knowingly accept and buy products from a company when they know the JOHN DEERE name is going to be soiled by malfunctioning parts? I work for one of the biggest corporations in the world and THEIR NAME means everything. They have mandatory classes that every employee must take regardless of job title/function. The reason they educate people about name brand and reputation is because it can either further business or destroy a company. If an employee does anything to soil the reputation of this firm, you can and will be fired on the spot. They can even file civil litigation against you. So my point is this...if John Deere knows there is a problem..wouldn't you think they would reach out to the clutch provider and say, get it right or we are taking our business elsewhere?

Well everyone, John Deere corporate returned my call. They are willing to work with me on this issue. I will cover labor and they will cover parts. The new part will be warrantied. Now this is bad..I just spoke with a service rep and she informed me that a technician put a new clutch on and it was seizing up as soon as he put it on. She went on to say, they had another one in stock and he tried that one and it worked. Ok so I am not one to kick a fellow when he is down..but this stresses my point...why do you have a bad part on your shelf? What in the world is going on? Maybe I need to work with Deere in the area of quality assurance. :) Well, I a sure they are working on the issues. I will give them credit about one thing...their people are GREAT. Every person that I have come into contact with was very personable and pleasant. I will be praying for this AMERICAN company. It is my desire to see them continue to turn out a fine product second to none!!:cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I suggest to everybody lets move on from this discussion. It's getting nowhere. You try to help people and get them to understand whats going on and they don't want to hear it. All they want to talk about is how awful their equipment and dealer is and there's no way out of it and nobody on these sites can give me some helpful advice! If you are having clutch issues. Read the entire discussion on this! From start to end!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I suggest to everybody lets move on from this discussion. It's getting nowhere. You try to help people and get them to understand whats going on and they don't want to hear it. All they want to talk about is how awful their equipment and dealer is and there's no way out of it and nobody on these sites can give me some helpful advice! If you are having clutch issues. Read the entire discussion on this! From start to end!

Does anyone have any pictures of what needs to be looked at and addressed on the clutch? I read the discussion but other than a couple posters saying they know how to fix it I don't see any real explanation of what the problem is :confused:

·
Registered
864 Posts
It's not a simple matter of "look at this". The drive clutch is part of a system so the cause of a problem may not be black and white.

Here are a few things outside the primary clutch that can affect it's performance and shifting:

1. The primary clutch must completely open to allow the transmission to shift.

2. There are mechanical linkages that control shifting. Improper adjustment can cause shifting problems that might be blamed on the clutch.

3. The primary clutch in operated by centripital force. Too high an engine idle speed can prevent the clutch from fully opening so the engine can't be totally ignored when diagnosing a shifting or clutch problem.

4. The primary and secondary clutches must be a specific distance apart (center line to center line), parallel and offset/aligned side to side to avoid side loading and dragging of the drive belt.

5. Then there is the drive belt. Generally as it wears it should "loosen" things up and make shifting easier but it's a part of the system so if the belt is incorrect it can also cause problems. Deere has made a belt change to the 550 and maybe other models than can help shifting.

Then once you start looking at the clutch itself:

A. The weights and springs inside the clutch can be changed so the proper setup is required to get it to open and close when needed and the rate at which it closes.

B. There can be a sleeve with a bearing on the shaft. If the bearing seizes it can drag the belt even when the clutch is open.

C. The clutch (pulley) side plate must be able to slide in and out freely. So, it must be free to move on the shaft and it's contained by fixed arms on either side of the spider with wear/guide "buttons". Dirt can bind things up as can the aluminum housing expanding as it warms up, putting more binding pressure on the spider that's supposed to move.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Here is the clutch with the face plate bolts removed.

Now with the face plate lifted off you can see the spring. This spring is what forces the sides of the pulley/clutch open at idle. The strength and length of this spring affects how and when the clutch opens and closes.

The spider is on top and you can see the weights in the down position. When assembled the spring keeps the spider pushed against the weights so there is no gap. As the clutch spins these weights are flung outward and their cam shape pushes the clutch plates together. Their weight and shape affect how and when the clutch opens and closes.

Here I'm holding the weight in the up position.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There has been suggestions on what to look at and what the cause might be. The cable adjustment check has also been stated before Dane just posted. There have been suggestions concerning the condition. However, no one is asking any questions. Like they'd rather just complain about the issue, manufactur, dealer, and product. WHATEVER!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great pics Dane....thanks I haven't had the clutch out of my 825i yet. I haven't had the shifting problems either but given the amount of complaints I see I'm betting that day will come.

Would there be a benefit to disassembling and cleaning the clutch on a periodic basis....like maybe a 1 yr interval just to keep everything moving freely? Any benefit to putting a thing coat of moly lube or similar on the contact surfaces of the weights?

41 - 60 of 100 Posts