John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
New here and I see this site is a wealth of knowledge. I just got a used 2011 825i and the speedometer/odometer are not working. It reads zero all the time. Also the left turn signal is illuminated on the cluster. Any ideas. 550 hours on it and the hour meter is working. Runs great otherwise.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sounds like the speed sensor needs replaced. The turn signal light is puzzling. Do you have a signal kit on your gator?

Xcopterdoc is the right guy to answer this.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you havent purchased the tech manual from your dealer you really need to. It will pay for itself in quick order.
The speed sensor is located on the front side of the transmission, between the transmission and engine. More easy to see if you remove the right rear wheel.
I would check all connections at the computers and displays before chucking parts at it.
Heres the test for sensor

Speed Sensor Test

Reason:

To verify proper operation of the speed sensor.

Equipment:

• Ohmmeter
Procedure:

CAUTION: Avoid Injury! Touching hot surfaces can burn skin. The engine, components, and fluids will be hot if the engine has been running. Keep hands and body away from hot surfaces when servicing or working near the engine and components. Allow engine to cool.
  1. Drain transaxle.

2. LVAL22761-UN-27APR12

A - Speed Sensor

Remove speed sensor (A) from transmission.
Inspection:

LVAL22762-UN-27APR12

A - Speed Sensor
B - Sensor Body

1. Inspect speed sensor (A) for damage.
  2. Test strength of internal magnet in sensor body (B) with a ferrous metal object. Objects within 6 mm (0.25 in.) should be attracted.

3. LVAL22763-UN-27APR12

B - Sensor Body
    C - Terminals

Check for resistance between sensor terminals (C). Resistance should be within specification with sensor at room temperature. ItemMeasurementSpecificationSpeed Sensor TerminalsResistance3.1k Ohms DC ±10%
  4. Check for continuity between each terminal and sensor body (B). There should not be continuity.
  5. With meter probes connected to each sensor terminal, pass a ferrous metal object close to end of sensor body. Meter should temporarily show an over limit (OL) condition as sensor impedance changes.
  6. Replace sensor if any test conditions are not met.
Installation:

1. Install new O-ring to speed sensor body.
  2. Install sensor to transaxle. Tighten to specification. ItemMeasurementSpecificationSpeed SensorTorque11 N·m (97 lb.-in.)
  3. Install wire harness connector to sensor.
  4. Fill transaxle.
  5. Check for leaks.
20120517​

© 2011 Deere & Company.
All Rights Reserved.​

·
Registered
242 Posts
Don't do the ohmmeter test ...That is not accurate...Connect a Graphing meter to both Pins at the sensor and spin the wheel ...you will get a sinchronized up and down signal if the sensor is good...It sounds like you may have a glitch in the speedometer module beings your blinker light is on...Does the check engine light come on with key on engine of (koeo) would be the first I would check...Take it to a shop and have them do a Generic scan for any codes...Autozone will do it for Free

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cleaned out the 20 pounds of dirt that was burying the speed sensor. What a pain getting that thing out. Got it out and the tip is damaged. Damaged to the point that you can see the copper wires in the sensor. Now I'm concerned that maybe there is a bad bearing in the transaxle allowing the gear to move just enough to damage the tip of sensor. Any one ever had to replace bearings in the transaxle yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Replaced the speed sensor and it is working perfect. Not sure what damaged the other one. Maybe someone tightened it down with a breaker bar and seated it too deep.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regardin the scanning of the Gator. I see the connection right under the dash similar to the car connection for the diagnostics scan. Are you saying I can hook a regular scan tool to that? Oreillys just gives you the scanner and you do it yourself. I have done that multiple times on different vehicles of mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts