John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 825i and normally starts fine. Last week I went to start and the fuel pump did not prime but instead I heard a clicking noise from the rear area. I tried to start and it turned over fine but didn’t start.
Thinking the clicking reminded me of a almost dead battery (understand the click was before I turned the key to actually start) I put the battery tender on it over night just to be sure. Went out yesterday and did the same thing. I took a video as best I could to capture the noise with the bed up, but as the noise was in the rear and I had to turn the key, I didn’t get a great video.
Later I thought I would try to get a better video and when I turned the key, the fuel pump primed and I tried to start and it worked as normal. I ran it for a while and all was good.
So questions: what is in the rear that would click when key is turned to first position? And, why would it click a few times and then later seem to function well and the fuel pump primed and engine started?
Thanks for any help!!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
Check and clean the grounds on battery, frame and starter.

Reactions: Gatorwork

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the grounds and cleaned them all. To be clear, the battery is fully charged and when I tried to start, it turned over with plenty of power. The issue was the first click of the key when the fuel pump primes. That didn’t happen and there was a clicking noise in the rear.
Good news is it hasn’t happened again and all seems to be working. Except I am not confident it won’t happen again.
Anyone have ideas as what happened and what to check?
Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to try to link to the video I took. This is the first position of the key, when the fuel pump should prime. This is not the starting position of the key. This was the sound it made with initial turn of the key in the first position. I did it twice in the video.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am going to try to link to the video I took. This is the first position of the key, when the fuel pump should prime. This is not the starting position of the key. This was the sound it made with initial turn of the key in the first position. I did it twice in the video.
I am having the same problem. I replaced the fuel pump but it did not fix it.

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
Have you checked the switch and any relays.

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
i checked the switch it is fine not sure where the fuel pump relay is located
Which model do you own ? Often you can look online at jdparts.com to help find components on your Gator.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
i checked the switch it is fine not sure where the fuel pump relay is located
How did you check the switch?

How were the grounds checked?

To do both above requires a voltmeter or similar, so we'll assume you have one. Check the voltage at the pump and work your way back from there. Just because a relay "clicks" doesn't mean it is functioning. Since JD doesn't used sealed connectors or dielectric grease, assume every connector is a potential electrical break.

The technical manual can go a long way in helping with wiring diagrams, component location and testing. Your operators manual may even list where the relays are located. Another potential source is the illustrated parts diagrams at jdparts.com. Copies of the operators manual can usually be found HERE. You'll need to use your SN to select the correct one. JD does not use model year for referencing parts, manuals or anything else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great advice. I am going to check the switches and relay. I was not really familiar with checking a relay, but here is a great video for that:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts