John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gator 825I My power steering signal on instrument panel comes on frequently also hard to steer after setting still for long periods of time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 2013 did that after sitting for a while.
the steering is electrical, verify the connectors for dirt or water. Disconnect them use a compressor to blow out any contaminants, push back in connectors.
Check the fuse as well, of the light stays on permanently.
if it is intermittent probably a loose connector below the front tray under the hood.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I took it back to the dealer as it had been there for routine service. A service person loaded it on my trailer so I did not notice the steering icon present on the instrument panel until I got home (about 25 miles) to unload the Gator. The service manager called today, said it is OK now, couldn't find anything wrong and sometimes these electrical steering systems do this and later are OK. My skepticism is that if I continue to use it, I will later have a huge repair bill, thinking about trading it off for different brand. This is a two year old Gator with light use, very disappointed, paid the JD dealer price, didn't asked for any discounts, not sure what I will get as replacement but plan to shop around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem. I can ride around for about 45 minutes or so, then the light will cut on and my power steering is disabled. Can anyone tell me which fuse I need to look at? I pulled the fuses that I did see and checked them, and they weren't blown. But, I could go ahead and replace the fuse for the power steering if I knew which one it was.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will pick mine up tomorrow, phone message from service mgr did not satisfy me, his message that the steering is working OK now. I am not satisfied with the response of "just ignore it with electronic things, we don't have answers".

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks, I will pick mine up tomorrow, phone message from service mgr did not satisfy me, his message that the steering is working OK now. I am not satisfied with the response of "just ignore it with electronic things, we don't have answers".
Problem never go away on their own, especially if the machine is still under warranty.
Typically problems arise right away within a few hours, but then its regular maintenance and troubleshooting that will resolve the Issue :)

It's worth getting the electronic version of the service manual.

Now back to the power steering intermittent issue. JD call it the EPAS.
From the John deere parts search catalog John Deere - Parts Catalog

Once you have checked the connectors according to the service manual the EPAS has switched power from a 15a fuse in the fuse block under the hood, near the left fender. This fuse provides power to the Relay EPAS relay C-97. If the 15a fuse is blown the display panel will not work. so that is likely not your issue.

Now the relay on the other hand can be at fault. I would pull it out, verify the pins for corrosion, grit... it may need to be replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gator Steering

Picked up my gator today, talked to Service manger, he says the steering light did not come on and he can't diagnose it until the steering is out. The dealer repair shop is very busy and no doubt I am getting the the brush off. I asked the SVC MGR if he wanted me to bring it back if the steering went out again, He replied "yes but I can't fix it until I see it not working". I brought it home, light came on and the power steering quit before before I unloaded it from the trailer. A round trip from my farm to the dealer is about 80 miles and tomorrow, I will make the third trip there to see if the service manager will make a diagnostic effort to find and fix my problem. I bought this John Deere 825I from Lawn and Leisure in Columbia, MO. After going to two other dealers with different brands, the sales person at Lawn and Liesure was the most friendly and cooperative, he rolled out a Gator and told my wife and me to drive it around the parking lot for a while. When I go to the service desk now, it appears the agency has become too big to deal with small problems, lots of people working there and seem busy but for my Gator problem, it seems like they want me and my Gator out of sight and out of mind. I should add that I mentioned to the service manager today that the owners manual says if the power steering is not functioning, it usually is not getting sufficient power and the power source should be checked and corrected before working on the power steering unit. My understanding of his response was "Yes but I can't check it until it is not working".

·
Registered
9 Posts
85i steering

I just purchased a new (2017) 825i and the steering light(and power steering) is intermittent with less than 4 hrs on it. Dealer is coming tomorrow to haul it back into the shop. SVR mgr told me that there are diagnostic codes they can read just like a car, and that it will be there even if the light/problem is not present when they get it. Might try a different JD dealer.

·
Super Moderator
3,187 Posts
I just purchased a new (2017) 825i and the steering light(and power steering) is intermittent with less than 4 hrs on it. Dealer is coming tomorrow to haul it back into the shop. SVR mgr told me that there are diagnostic codes they can read just like a car, and that it will be there even if the light/problem is not present when they get it. Might try a different JD dealer.

The explanation given by the Service Manager seems to be very reasonable. I would allow this dealer to look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,187 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Made three trips to the dealer, 80 miles round trip, power steering worked when at the dealer but not when I got home. I decided to trade for new Gator, told the sales guy I was tired of the hassle, just give me a fair trade on new Gator. I am satisfied with the trade price and will pick up the new one tomorrow or Wednesday. After agreeing to the trade price, the sales guy told me that he had previously sold two Gators with Steering problems, he said the problem was difficult to find, one had electrical problem and they replaced the power steering unit on the other. Needless to say, John Deere needs a better handle on the Gator power steering problems, surely they must have a QC check at the factory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is now Wednesday, 26 July and my new Gator was delivered last Friday (21 July), I called the dealer sales, was told the salesman I traded with was busy but would call back. I asked for assurance that he would call as I had received several promises but nothing had happened. The salesman immediately called and said my Gator would be delivered that day although the dump bed cylinder or actuator was not on hand but he would come to my farm and install it when it came in. To date, the Gator has only been used a few times, so far so good, everything works well. I have been impressed with the PR efforts of the dealer sales staff but it is totally different with the service section, I get the impression that the dealer has become too large to deal with customer complaints or vehicle problems. My wife and I visited four dealers to buy a UTV and the sales staff at this dealer was the most friendly and PR oriented, too bad the service department does not have the same PR standards. If you have read my previous posts, I made three trips (80 miles round trip) to the dealer and still had a power steering problem on 2 year old Gator, finally traded for new Gator to avoid further hassle.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It is now Wednesday, 26 July and my new Gator was delivered last Friday (21 July), I called the dealer sales, was told the salesman I traded with was busy but would call back. I asked for assurance that he would call as I had received several promises but nothing had happened. The salesman immediately called and said my Gator would be delivered that day although the dump bed cylinder or actuator was not on hand but he would come to my farm and install it when it came in. To date, the Gator has only been used a few times, so far so good, everything works well. I have been impressed with the PR efforts of the dealer sales staff but it is totally different with the service section, I get the impression that the dealer has become too large to deal with customer complaints or vehicle problems. My wife and I visited four dealers to buy a UTV and the sales staff at this dealer was the most friendly and PR oriented, too bad the service department does not have the same PR standards. If you have read my previous posts, I made three trips (80 miles round trip) to the dealer and still had a power steering problem on 2 year old Gator, finally traded for new Gator to avoid further hassle.
the sales depts are always kissing your butt...because they want your $$$$ its the same with car and truck or for fact anyplace you buy something big , new and expensive..but when it comes service time..unless they can sell you lots of goodies..they ALL hate warranty work..they are losing money..yes the dealer gets paid, but you can rest assure that JD frowns on dealers that dont try and get rid of warranty work...I would have tried calling JD direct..corporate..not a dealer and make some complaints..sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the oil..and now with forums like this and a social media presence ..you can reach millions of people to spread joy or its a piece of crap.. that scares many companies...you paid a fair price you should get a quality machine that works properly..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Our new Gator only has a few hours but big difference in steering, easy now, hope it doesn't develop same steering problem as the first one. The cylinder or actuator for the dump bed has not been installed, was promised that the sales guy would come to my farm and install it, I need to call him and remind him of the still missing part.

·
Registered
140 Posts
EPAS not working

Okay everyone lets get some EPAS 101. I've fix several of these units. First off don't over think it. EPAS units don't go bad, I have never had to replace one. They are built to protect themselves. The only fault light that I have every seen is a solid bright light on the dash or on the instrument panel. A solid dim or bright light means that there is a problem with the power supply or the ground. The EPAS gets it's power from the positive battery terminal and there is a circuit breaker next to the battery. I have seen the connections come loose. On the ground side the wire is connected to the frame along with a stack of other ground wires next to the negative battery terminal. They mounted the ground wires right on top of the paint on the seat frame. Clean the paint off the frame and drill out the hole. Mount the grounds with a bolt and nut on the underside of the frame. Install a jumper wire connecting those ground wires to the main negative terminal. I just repaired one that had high resistance on the ground side of the EPAS. A blinking light on the dash is other problems, like speed sensor and stuff like that. Hopefully this will help everyone out.

·
Super Moderator
3,187 Posts
Okay everyone lets get some EPAS 101. I've fix several of these units. First off don't over think it. EPAS units don't go bad, I have never had to replace one. They are built to protect themselves. The only fault light that I have every seen is a solid bright light on the dash or on the instrument panel. A solid dim or bright light means that there is a problem with the power supply or the ground. The EPAS gets it's power from the positive battery terminal and there is a circuit breaker next to the battery. I have seen the connections come loose. On the ground side the wire is connected to the frame along with a stack of other ground wires next to the negative battery terminal. They mounted the ground wires right on top of the paint on the seat frame. Clean the paint off the frame and drill out the hole. Mount the grounds with a bolt and nut on the underside of the frame. Install a jumper wire connecting those ground wires to the main negative terminal. I just repaired one that had high resistance on the ground side of the EPAS. A blinking light on the dash is other problems, like speed sensor and stuff like that. Hopefully this will help everyone out.

Thanks Mike!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Our new Gator only has a few hours but big difference in steering, easy now, hope it doesn't develop same steering problem as the first one. The cylinder or actuator for the dump bed has not been installed, was promised that the sales guy would come to my farm and install it, I need to call him and remind him of the still missing part.
did you get that in writing?..lol..just in case the salesman gets alzheimers and forgets what he promised...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will print the above entry by Bradhill in case my new (2017) unit goes bad. The 2014 Gator had less than 400 hours, not hard use or abuse but big problem appeared to be the svc mgr had no time to find problem, always got brush off by svc department. I received phone call yesterday that the actuator for the dump bed was in and they would pick up the Gator and install it. The dealer has John Deere and Kubota and appears to be busy but the attitude of the svc department is eventually going to bite them in the butt. There is a second John Deere (big chain dealer) in town and I have heard complaints from a large farm owner that svc people return phone calls are sometimes promised but not returned. Success apparently can bring complacency.

·
Super Moderator
3,187 Posts
I will print the above entry by Bradhill in case my new (2017) unit goes bad. The 2014 Gator had less than 400 hours, not hard use or abuse but big problem appeared to be the svc mgr had no time to find problem, always got brush off by svc department. I received phone call yesterday that the actuator for the dump bed was in and they would pick up the Gator and install it. The dealer has John Deere and Kubota and appears to be busy but the attitude of the svc department is eventually going to bite them in the butt. There is a second John Deere (big chain dealer) in town and I have heard complaints from a large farm owner that svc people return phone calls are sometimes promised but not returned. Success apparently can bring complacency.
Credit must be given where credit is due, @Nedco - JohnDeereCat1 is the thread starter and is a John Deere Technician who specializes on the Gator in his dealership "Mike" is also a great guy !!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts