John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of my new 825i and after reviewing the owners manual and becoming familiar with all the controls, I figured I would hop on up in the drivers seat and move the gator into the garage as I had some addon's that I wanted to install and it was about 103 outside.

So i stuck the key in and started the engine, it started, I put my foot on the brake, let off the emergency brake and put the gear selector in forward and let off the brake and nothing happened so I put my foot back on the brake and rechecked the gear selector position and it was correct so i let my foot off the brake peddle again and still nothing so i though perhaps a little pressure on the gas peddle, the engine rpm increased but still nothing so i gave it another nudge on the gas peddle and that sob launched its self into the garage and by the time i managed to hit the brake peddle the nose of the gator was within 5 inches of the garage wall.

Well i was too close to the garage wall so I thought I would back it up a foot or two. I had a repeat of the entry into the garage, sudden engagement of the drive train.

IS THIS NORMAL FOR THIS XUV???:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks,

JD

·
Registered
160 Posts
yes and no..my 825i wont move at idle, and you have to bring up the rpm to get the clutch to engage..take that beast out to the fields and run it to loosen up and then see how the throttle works, you may just have to lube the cable if it is stiff...it takes a little getting use to otherwise you get what you experienced...

·
Registered
813 Posts
The clutch system in a Gator is very different than a automatic transmission in a car. In a car the torque converter is constantly transmitting some power requiring you to keep your foot on the brake as the car will start to move even on level ground.

The primary/drive clutch in the Gator is centrifugal. At idle the clutch is disengaged and on level ground you can take your foot off the brake and the machine will just sit there. As you rev the engine up you reach a point where the spinning weights in the clutch overcome the spring keeping the clutch open and it engages. If you are not accustomed to a vehicle like that it can be startling at first because it is very different than a car. Soon, you'll learn how to feather the throttle and engage the clutch more smoothly and with more control.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My 625I Gator has a similar response ( or non response) to the accelerator. As Dane notes the Gator basically has a snowmobile clutch/throttle set up where there is no engagement at engine idle speed. The accelerator pedal needs to be moved about 2 inches on my machine to engage the clutch. Another personal peeve is the transmission selector level is very "vague"...you think it is in gear but it is not actually clicked in position. Seems a very low tech system for both clutch and transmission on a $11 K machine. It takes a bit of practice to get them to work smoothly.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well to level this out a bit, the clutch system on the 825i is a Constant tight belt, which basically allows you to roll into the throttle and not have that jerkiness. it's not the same clutching as the 550's and 625i's. Yes they have the same type of clutches but the belt isnt sitting lose on the 825i's like it is on the others....

It should NOT lunge like the poster said it did...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Y'all been real helpful with your answers now I am guessing that since it should not take off like a dog that got parked its backside on a mound of fire ants that perhaps this would be a good time to give my local John Deere dealer a holler and get them to take a look at it.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks,

JD

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well to level this out a bit, the clutch system on the 825i is a Constant tight belt, which basically allows you to roll into the throttle and not have that jerkiness. it's not the same clutching as the 550's and 625i's. Yes they have the same type of clutches but the belt isnt sitting lose on the 825i's like it is on the others....

It should NOT lunge like the poster said it did...

Only the newer ones are "tight belt"...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yes, the 600001 and later serial number are tight belt. I have tested a number of each and if the wear button fit and belt spacing is correct, there is no significant difference in engagement characteristics. If it is taking more than about 1200 or 1300 RPM before the vehicle moves, it is highly likely that the wear buttons are too tight.

I prefer the older clutch without the center roller. The roller bearing is lightly greased, so it doesnt take much idling for it to begin to sieze. It appears that a properly set up early clutch is more reliable in the long term.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought a new 825m S4 and I find I have the same problem as you.
I put it into gear and actually have to increase the rpms by stepping on the accelerator, way more than normal,before my gator moves. I would also like to know is this normal?
Finding out what gear I am is also difficult. I can move the selector easily but finding that "sweet" spot is very difficult.
Has any one else had these problems?

·
Super Moderator
3,428 Posts
I just bought a new 825m S4 and I find I have the same problem as you.
I put it into gear and actually have to increase the rpms by stepping on the accelerator, way more than normal,before my gator moves. I would also like to know is this normal?
Finding out what gear I am is also difficult. I can move the selector easily but finding that "sweet" spot is very difficult.
Has any one else had these problems?

At what rpm does the clutch engage and what do you consider “normal” for the Gator to start moving?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went out and started it, I ran it for about 10 minutes, driving it above 100feet and back and when I got back it was idling it was 950 rpms and for my gator to move it took it up to 1650 rpms before it moved, any.
There wasn't any jerk or anything when it moved but never the less it isn't normal to have to rev up the engine that high for the gator to move, is it?

·
Registered
669 Posts
If I were troubleshooting it, I would remove the clutch cover and make sure the secondary sheaves are fully closed. If so, then I would fully expect the problem to be with the primary clutch.

Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts