John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 825i 2 months ago and noticed that the clutch did not engage until the motor hit nearly 2700 rpm and would be about 3000 rpm going 3 mph. The dealer said it was a high revving engine and that was all they would say. But I was not satisfied with that answer and started researching. The forum here had some other people talking about the weights and springs in the clutch and having to contact the clutch manufacturer about a new spring and possibly dropping the rpm by 500. This did not sound like much of a solution.

After a month, I went back to the dealer and test drove a diesel model and its clutch engaged at around 1400 rpm. So we looked at the clutch parts for the 825i and the diesel and found them to almost identical. the spring was different the weights were heavier. After ordering the new spring and weights for the diesel clutch to swap out with the original parts we hit a snag. There is a difference in the clutch housing where the weights fit. So we had to order the complete diesel clutch. Then had the Dealer install the new clutch, no other modifications needed.

Now my gator engages at around 1400 rpm and goes about 12 mph at 3000 rpm, and when put your foot down on the gas the engine comes to life and you better hold on at 40 mph you are at about 5000 rpm. The fuel consumption was cut by half due to the lower rpm's and you still have all the power you need. This modification was took less than a day and made great and very useful machine.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Thank you for sharing and Welcome to the forums!!!!!

How long have you been running this machine this way?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we swapped the clutch about a month ago. I bought the 825i to work on the farm, so we can lighten the workload on the 620 we have. But, my dad and mom hated the 825i since it had to run at such high rpms. but now they love it since the clutch swap. I was glad that we were able to use John Deere parts to fix it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I assume John Deere was a reason for the setup and likely no immediate consequences.

I guess the clutch would get worked harder (at risk) if you try to pull a full load (1500 lbs trailer) and stuff in the cargo since RPM's will be lower. The diesel probably has better low end torque.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We got it mainly for checking cows and hauling light loads, but we have pulled a 4x8 trailer with 1000 lbs tractor tires on it with no trouble.
The clutches work off of weights and centrifugal force. The Diesel clutch has heavier weights and engages sooner than the light weights in the standard clutch. So the engine won't turn as hard to do the same work.
You can spin the tires with ease and still have you pulling power.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is a difference in the clutch housing where the weights fit. So we had to order the complete diesel clutch. Then had the Dealer install the new clutch, no other modifications needed.
Do you have the part numbers from deere? I went onto JDParts and both the 855D and 825i use the same part #. AM142334
Then again that parts catalog is kinda hard to negotiate... And I've never worked on clutches before so little did I know there's a primary, secondary and "transaxle driven".
Mine is also an 825i about 3 months old.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you had a chance to get it up to top speed with the new clutch? Faster or slower (much difference at all?) Thanx for the number! I'm not using mine for much more than plowing snow and hauling the kids up the hill after they sled ride down. :) (thinking I coulda spent less and done that with my old ford 8n but ya can't go muddin or trail riding in that thing... or can u? hmm)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have only got it up to 45 mph once. I thought I noticed it start to surge like it had a governor on it, and I don't remember what the rpm's were. Mainly we drive in the 15-25 mph range. Also, we drive the 620 and 825i constantly over the farm. We cover over a square mile with some fields being over 2 miles away. Dirt and gravel roads mainly, one paved road near us. We could make the payments on the gators just on the fuel saving of not driving 1/2 to 1 ton trucks.

Before the clutch swap everyone over a half mile away could here you going 15 mph. So everyone was afraid to drive it more than 3 mile which was about 3000 rpm. But after the swap it goes about 15 mph at 3000 rpm and you have to be about 500 feet to hear it. So now once you start getting the speed up the tire vibration/noise is the bigger complaint over the engine noise. But we do have pretty aggressive tread so that is to be expected.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice write-up. I will keep this in mine for our new S4 (only 5 hrs).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just wanted to get this information out to everyone who didn't like the engine running that high.

·
Registered
32 Posts
well my dealer just finished installing a brand new diesel clutch on my 2011 825i,,,and there is no difference in speed in rpm,,,its still going 69kph,at 6000rpm,,,and not 60kph at 5000rpm,,,,hmmmmm I think I wasted 490 bucks ,,,,

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased the weights and spring from the 855D clutch ($23) for my 2013 825i. I had to remove .250" from the over all length of the new weights to get them to fit into the 825i clutch (clearance issue). After installation of the weights and spring, my clutch now engages at 1600 rpm, instead of 2700 rpm as it did stock. The primary clutch shifts much sooner now, reducing the rpm across the board, allowing you to use the motors torque instead of high rpm horsepower. The entire gator works better now, with little low end power loss. I also installed a Silent Rider muffler to remove the "crackling sound" from the exhaust. The 825i is now whisper quiet with the power where I want it. The Silent Rider did cause a slight power loss in the upper rpm range (more back pressure). Since I hardly exceed 25 mph, the slight power loss is of little consequence to me. This is how the gator should have come from the factory! Worth every penny!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I purchased the weights and spring from the 855D clutch ($23) for my 2013 825i. I had to remove .250" from the over all length of the new weights to get them to fit into the 825i clutch (clearance issue).
arzdog, you got a part number for those weights n springs? That might be a good place for me to start considering the price! Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The weights are part number AM140452, and the spring is M161228. I ordered them online from Green Farm Parts. They were the cheapest I could find. This combo has cut the engine revs by 1000 rpm thru out the entire speed range.

·
Registered
32 Posts
well I called team .... and they said thqt they du make a aftermarket clutch, that will improve low end shift and more speed on the top without losing power ,,so I went ahead and ordered one ..299 bucks,,,so I just might have a diesel clutch for sale ,with 5 km on it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let us know how it works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The top weight is the 855D (after being shortened 1/4"), the bottom is the stock 825i.

855d-825i clutch weights.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let me know how much you want for the diesel clutch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
well I did install that clutch from team ,, and I like it, it doest have the low rpm at cruising speed like I figured ,but there was some improvement ,,,and no power loss ,,,but on the high end I love it,,,79km per hour,,,, and yes i want to sell my diesel clutch,, but u south of the border ,,probly pay way less for what we du up here,,, i paid 494 Canadian, at my dealership,,,so any offers

1 - 20 of 48 Posts