John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 825i with almost 3000 hours (but new to me). The engine runs rough and has a knock. My plan is to pull the motor so it is easier to work on. I will rebuild it if need be. Simple question to start with. The service manual calls for a valve shim removal tool. I like buying tools, but my wife thinks I already have enough of them. Is john Deeres removal tool required (its around 110 bucks) or are there other shim removal tools that would work? Just wondering what has worked for others as I accumulate supplies for the project. Also has anyone done a write up on checking valve lash on the 3 cylinder chery motor? I have poked around in the forum but havent found anything on it yet. Thanks

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Is this the PN for the tool?

JDG10985

Tool

Perhaps you could fabricate one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the one. I considered fabricating one, but all I can find is one drawing and it doesn't include any specs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably also important to know I have never adjusted this type of valve before so I am unfamiliar with these tools.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Is it possible the technical manual has some basic dimensions to make something up? (I don't have your model)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is possible. I have a service manual, but no technical manual (I assume they are different). I will see if I can get my hands on one. It is a 2012? 825i. Model number 1MO825GECCM041864.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I think JD uses the term Technical Manual for what most would call the Service or Repair Manual. See example below. Info may not represent your serial number. Please verify if ordering.

Publication TypePart NumberTitleLanguage
Operator's ManualOMM166799XUV 825i Gator™ Utility Vehicle
North American Edition (040001-060000)
English
Parts CatalogPC9958XUV 825i Gator™ Utility Vehicle (Gas)English
Technical ManualTM107119XUV 825i Gator™ Utility VehicleEnglish
Parts Catalog CD-ROMPC9958CDXUV 825i Gator™ Utility Vehicle (Gas)English
Technical Manual CD-ROMTM107119CDXUV 825i Gator™ Utility VehicleEnglish
Operators Manual CD-ROMOMM166799CDXUV 825i Gator™ Utility Vehicle
North American Edition (040001-060000)
English

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the manual I have and it does go with my gator. It's full of useful info for a teardown and rebuild of the engine, I just cant seem to find anything on checking and setting valve lash. There is a section on removing the camshafts and disassembling the valves, just nothing on checking and setting valve lash and nothing on the valve shim removal and installation. I have read through/looked through a pretty good portion on the tech manual, but maybe I have missed it. I will go back through it and see what I can find. I am not opposed to disassembling if it is called for. I could also be overthinking the whole thing having never worked on a dohc motor before. Thanks for your help and thoughts 200mph. I'll post whatever I figure out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. I feel like a dummy. I found the valve lash checking and setting procedure (pg 45). Still nothing on tool spec, but I am closer! Thanks again for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts