John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My early 825i bottoms out with less than 500 lbs in the bed, even though it's supposedly rated for 1,000 lbs.

I want to try the rear shocks from the 4 passenger (825i S4) since I'd assume they're designed to handle more weight.

Does anyone know if the 2 parts have the same physical dimensions (are interchangeable)?

(825i rear shock: AM137814, and 825i S4 rear shock: AM142276)

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Can't answer your question specifically, but I took the liberty to find the following information described in the photo.

Another option might be to replace the springs on the shocks you have now with something a bit stiffer... Might be able to find a spring for another brand or shock supplier that would fit your needs.

Sorry! Forgot this site doesn't support uploading pictures from computer. I'll try private message to see if it will allow sending the info.

Added in edit:
Shock/Spring Assembly: AM137814/AM142276
Price: $133.83/$172.10
Weight: 8.84lbs/9.79lbs
Extended Length: 15.043/15.083 in (0.040 inch longer)
Collapsed Length: 10.575/10.575 in
Travel: 4.469/4.508 in
End Type: 101.000/202.000 (End Type - This doesn't make sense and guessing this is the spring rate, but this is only a guess on my part)
Cap End Size: 1.260/1.260 in
Rod Size: 0.478/0.478 in

They look to be the same shock physically with the difference coming from the spring and perhaps the internal shock valving. Remember it is the spring that determines how much deflection the load will cause and the shock only controls the damping rate.

On my 855D I can adjust the spring preload by rotating a cam with a spanner wrench. Does the 825i have the same ability? Perhaps all you need to do is adjust the spring preload.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Don't the rear shocks adjust like the front ones do? Have you checked that? They may be set "loose / low" for a smoother ride rather than stiff for hauling a heavy pay load.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, they do adjust, and they were fully compressed (already on the stiffest setting).

I asked the compatibility question to the folks at green parts store, and they replied that the ends are different so they are not interchangeable. I have the early model from 2011. The shocks were changed in the later versions of the 825i, so the 4 passenger shocks may be interchangeable with those, but not with mine.

I decided to order a new set of rears (I blew them out by overloading with firewood), and adding the 2" lift spacers from superATV and see if that helps (though I think it'll be comparable to loading the springs with the adjustment).

I'm also going to take the springs of the "old" set and measure for possible spring upgrade in the future.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
If you can. Please measure and post the installed height, free length, outside diameter, wire diameter, number of coils and if the ends are ground flat. It will be possible to determine the approximate spring rate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can adjust your rear shocks with a spanner wrench I have had a max load in mine with adjustment all the way up and have never had it bottom out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts