John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy to the forum here and appreciate any thoughts/suggestions before I head to the dealer and am told "you need to spend $1500 on a TPS", or whatever the issue is, for a machine that's 2 years old and with less than 97 hours. :|

I have a 2018 XUV 835M with less than 100 hours on it. Earlier this summer it began spitting and sputtering at start up a little bit. It's gotten a little worse since June. At start up, engine idles around 1050 and slowly spits, sputters almost chokes out as it works it's way down to 940-950 RPM. Once at idle there, and once warm, it seems to flatten out and run fine. That said, I did just put in neutral and sit on the gas and hover at 1900 and I hear a faint miss - perhaps it's something, perhaps it's nothing at all...I'm no mechanic. I did throw in new plugs yesterday to see if that helped. Nada. Old plugs (pic below) might lean a fuzz towards the rich side?

Again, I'm not a mechanic, but can tinker on/figure out things with some assistance and I do like to learn about this stuff. Any and all help on the rough running at start would is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am not a mechanic...but
Bad or old gas
Spark plug wires
Have you cleaned your air filter...this is a must do frequently thing
Did you gap those new plugs you put in
Just food for thought
Best of luck... keep us posted

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not a mechanic...but
Bad or old gas
Spark plug wires
Have you cleaned your air filter...this is a must do frequently thing
Did you gap those new plugs you put in
Just food for thought
Best of luck... keep us posted
Thanks for the quick response! I wouldn't THINK it would be bad or old gas, but can't say 100% that wouldn't be it. I am planning to dump some injector cleaner in this tank and run it till empty prior to putting new gas in just to see. Yes on the air filter, in fact brand spankin' new air filter a month ago and the old one was frequently checked/blown out. I have not/did not gap the new spark plugs...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing concrete so far. New plugs didn't do anything. Before I start dumping loads of money by throwing parts and labor at it, the next self-remedy I am trying is fuel injector cleaner. I dumped 2/3 of a bottle of Sea Foam injector cleaner in the current tank of fuel. After several days of light use, it does seem to be acting much closer to the way it should. I am going to wait until this tank is empty and new fuel is put in to say this "fixed" the issue.

I am interested if you found solution

1 - 5 of 5 Posts