John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to build some limb risers from the front grill guard diagonally up to (and possibly over) the roof. Before I go "exploring" taking it apart, I wondered if anyone here knew if or what type of structural support is up there for mounting points?
I'm not building a rops or fops, but certainly something more than plastic will be necessary.
I do frequently have small limbs that "brush" across the top and corners of the windshield and upper cab lights, especially on the trails after it snows. The limbs are heavy with snow.
Wheel Tire Snow Vehicle Automotive tire

I'd like to protect the windshield, wiper, top lights and the leading edge of the roof. This is mainly a winter condition for my trails.
I can see where Deere has what looks like mounting points for some roof mounted options, I'm just in the dark as to their ruggedness.

·
Administrator
4,030 Posts
Honestly, I would add the wrap around fender protection, then mount your brackets to the wrap around kit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't "like" the leverage situation that would put on the whole guard. I think that would possibly impose loads well beyond the design and intended loads of the factory brush guard.
I have thought about attaching a simple "hoop" to connect both A pillars of the cab (just above the roof), but honestly the Gators are "finished" so nicely that anything not carefully planned and executed is going to look like crap. The bar is set pretty high when it comes to any alterations to a Gator, especially with the (R) cab.
I appreciate your suggestion.👍

·
Administrator
4,030 Posts
I don't "like" the leverage situation that would put on the whole guard. I think that would possibly impose loads well beyond the design and intended loads of the factory brush guard.
I have thought about attaching a simple "hoop" to connect both A pillars of the cab (just above the roof), but honestly the Gators are "finished" so nicely that anything not carefully planned and executed is going to look like crap. The bar is set pretty high when it comes to any alterations to a Gator, especially with the (R) cab.
I appreciate your suggestion.👍
When you come up with a plan keep us updated !

·
Administrator
4,030 Posts
Here are photos of the guards used on the fleet of Tucker Sno-Cats in Wyoming . I managed the Trails Program for many years, and have several hundred hours of seat time in these babies 😉

Cloud Vehicle Sky Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel Snow

Reactions: 711gator

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's all you need, just a little help guiding the (mostly hemlock "bows") stuff over the cab.
I've learned the beauty of them when I build a set for my tractor.
Snow Tire Wheel Snowplow Vehicle

I'm just nervous about making it stout enough while having a not so utilitarian look to it. Then there's the taking the pretty cab apart - part, about my least favorite thing to do with all those secret hidden push pins and hidden fasteners that are only meant to "assemble" and break upon dis assembly. 😖

1 - 6 of 6 Posts