John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here. I know this is a gator forum, but I'll post the same question in the other forums as well. Currently have a ranger xp800 that needs the top end rebuilt after 4400 miles/700hrs. Looking for some feedback/opinions on the 835s vs the honda/polaris/can am 1000s. We mostly use it for farm use. Picking rock, skid sprayer, and other farm maintenance. It will usually be idling/putzing around the farm hence why we get more engine hrs. Looking for something that is built a little better for work tasks than our current ranger. I will add our ranger is a 2011 model so we basically got 10yrs of use out of it and it sits in the shed with little to no use from dec-March. We always have done routine maintenance and care so I can say I'm a little discouraged with the Polaris. I know the 1000s are alot different machine than our 800 but it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If speed isn't an absolute, consider the 865 which is the same as the 835 but with a Yanmar (made in Japan) diesel. The 835s, 825s, etc. have the Chinese made Chery engine (remember the Geo Metro?). The diesels will have much more durability, are fine on long idles, and will last much longer than the gas options. I have 1400 hours on my 855D turbo and 450 on my 865R. The diesels get substantially more run time per tank of fuel as well and their greater torque makes hauling that half ton load work well. The downside of the diesels is they're only good for 32mph where the gas ones do around 45.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’ve owned a 2018 and a 2019 ranger xp 1000 and I had a lot of trouble with the clutches and wheel bearings and a arm bushings. I bought a gator 835 r in oct. 2019 and currently have about 8500 miles on it. Mainly ranching use not easy use. I have put two wheel bearings in it and tore a couple axle boots. Other than that it’s been a great machine. I know the 2021 xp 1000 is supposed to have greatly upgraded clutch’s but I bet the a arm bushings and the wheel bearings will still be a constant problem. I love both machines but with less power I think the gator is a lot less maintenance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts