John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've seen it here, and elsewhere, but I can't find it! I'm trying to avoid the problem of mud on the doors and gas cap from the rear wheels, that others have reported on the 835. Is there a fender extension that helps? I've been to Deere.com and elsewhere, but now I can't find it to order it!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,970 Posts
The extensions that JD sells are not long enough to cover the area needed.

Consider using automotive style rubber fender flares for this project.

Example of product

Pacer Performance 52-189 Flexy Flares Black 2-1/2" x 58" Heavy Duty Reinforced Rubber Fender Extension Kit - 4 Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029X0ZG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qYVrDb8REV4TV

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am getting a 835r tomorrow and I have seen a couple around here that others have and noticed all the mud thrown forward from the back tires. I ordered a big sheet of umhw plastic and will be making myself some mud guards in the next few days. Let ya know how it turns out.

·
Super Moderator
2,970 Posts
I am getting a 835r tomorrow and I have seen a couple around here that others have and noticed all the mud thrown forward from the back tires. I ordered a big sheet of umhw plastic and will be making myself some mud guards in the next few days. Let ya know how it turns out.

Can’t wait to see your extensions!

·
Super Moderator
2,970 Posts
Bradhill, you are a tremendous resource here on these forums! I am grateful.

Thank you!

The extensions that JD sells are not long enough to cover the area needed.

Consider using automotive style rubber fender flares for this project.

Example of product

Pacer Performance 52-189 Flexy Flares Black 2-1/2" x 58" Heavy Duty Reinforced Rubber Fender Extension Kit - 4 Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029X0ZG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qYVrDb8REV4TV

Aww shucks.... Happy to help!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Turned out pretty well. I just cut stips of the umhw plastic into 5” stips and started at the front of the bed and worked my way back attaching it with self tapping screws. I used a heat gun for the bends I’m the fender well. The. Used a small piece 5” wide and attached it to cover up the gas cap area.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,970 Posts
Turned out pretty well. I just cut stips of the umhw plastic into 5” stips and started at the front of the bed and worked my way back attaching it with self tapping screws. I used a heat gun for the bends I’m the fender well. The. Used a small piece 5” wide and attached it to cover up the gas cap area.

Nice work @Rock

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That's great, Rock! Congrats on the new Gator! Installation turned out great. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi! I too searched forever for flaps! Found a better way then what's out there for no more mud on the fuel cap and doors. Garden edging! green or black! $8.00 for 10ft. Has a reinforced edge so there is no drooping! Stainless self tap screws for plastic and stainless washers. Make sure to use a smaller bit when drilling the gator plastic. If you make them longer enough to cover the gas cap and air filter, you have to be careful when closing the dump bed, not to fold them in half. But nice and clean now!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,970 Posts
Nice write up!

·
Super Moderator
2,970 Posts
We used 4 1/4" automotive fender flares. 2 x 58" pieces $50. Self tapping screws in the underside of factory flare and drilled 1/4" hole for carriage bolt with wingnut for vertical end. Easy to loosen and check oil.

I really like how you extended the coverage on the front, with the wing nut fastener... Awesome idea Although I would be the person who forgets to unpin the flap before I dump the bed

As you know, the factory flares do not address the much needed coverage on the front.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts