John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought new battery thinking the battery was old.
Doesnt take long for the battery light to come on when I turn on the lights. I have a LED bar as well on the roof. If Im driving around and turn off the gator and all lights. Sometimes there is not enough amps to crank the engine and I have to jump it. I also notice that only 2 of the four stock lights work in the front of the utv. I checked fuses and everything seems fine.

If anyone has had these problems or have experience in this I would greatly appreciate a sense of direction. Thank you

·
Registered
200 Posts
2 of the headlights will turn off at idle after a little bit than back on once driving to conserve battery

·
Registered
371 Posts
When you pull the voltage regulator fuse under the hood look for signs of the fuse starting to melt. Had this issue fuse not blown but it will build up a coating on the contacts of the fuse you can scrap it off and keep going. It will overheat from either to much load or a partial ground.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
draining

When you pull the voltage regulator fuse under the hood look for signs of the fuse starting to melt. Had this issue fuse not blown but it will build up a coating on the contacts of the fuse you can scrap it off and keep going. It will overheat from either to much load or a partial ground.
Going to order a new Volt reg. see what happens then
Thank you!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Before you do that have you put a meter on the battery with the engine running you should see over 13 volts at idle and it will increase as you speed up the engine that will tell you if the voltage regulator is good or not. If it looks good have the battery checked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yup

Before you do that have you put a meter on the battery with the engine running you should see over 13 volts at idle and it will increase as you speed up the engine that will tell you if the voltage regulator is good or not. If it looks good have the battery checked.
I did that..14.3 on idle, as soon as i turned lights on and light bar 10.6.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sounds like you might be losing voltage to ground. Try pulling the fuse for the headlights and do the same test if it's still doing the same then reinstall the fuse and pull the fuse for the light bar and retest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
voltage

Sounds like you might be losing voltage to ground. Try pulling the fuse for the headlights and do the same test if it's still doing the same then reinstall the fuse and pull the fuse for the light bar and retest.
I will test that this weekend. I installed the volt reg but was unable to drive around due to weather and hunting with the kids. This weekend I will be back up north trying it out and tinkering with it. Thanks for the fuse recommendation...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts