John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, newbie here. Our club (snowmobile) bought a 13 850d with tracks for trail work, shuttling in tools and people for trail maintenance etc. I have 2 questions, 1 is; What setting would I use for the speedo to calibrate for the tracks? and 2; is there a clutch adjustment to allow this machine to pass someone walking? This thing is way too slow in my opinion. Thanks in advance. We love this machine, hoping it's an adjustment issue and not a normal condition.
:confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry I can't help with any of ur questions....what I do know is that I went with the 825 for the reason that it goes 15 miles faster then the 850d so when I put tracks on it I'm not doing 15 or 20 mph...and I'm definitely interested if there is something out there that will adapt the speedo.....

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well generally tracks will reduce the speed of the machine. Takes more power to turn the tracks than the wheels, so you have a reduction in speed.

The 850d is a slower machine than the 825i cause of the motor. You aren't getting the RPMS out of the diesel as you are in the 825i. I have not seen anything out there that will increase your speed while using tracks. Nature of the beast.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've always heard you lose about 40% of your speed so the 850D won't be a speed demon for sure. The upside is you should have a lot of pulling power with it and you're not going to disrupt the ground nearly as much. A friend of mine put tracks on his Polaris Sportsman and although it's not fast now (probably goes around 15-20 mph) it's an animal that has yet to be stopped in snow or mud...it has a ton of power just not much speed....we sit at 4 ways on our snowmobiles waiting for him to catch up all the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Deeresales101 now I believe there was a thread on here about a guy not liking his 825 cause of the RPms and the noise it was giving out so he went with the clutch and weights that came on the 850 would going from the 850 to the 825 clutch give the 850 more speed and reducing the torque?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yes there was a thread about that. However, being a sales guy and not seeing it in action i cant say that it's a good thing or a bad thing. The guy seemed to be pretty pleased about it, however there is a reason for the clutch that was put on that machine for a reason.

I am not sure if that would work because the 850d is designed for that machine. the 850d is not a constantly tight belt where as the 825i is. I am really not sure on this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts