John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....changed oil for first time. Headed the members advice here about not over filling. Put in 3 quarts, started and warmed up checked, nothing on dipstick. Have slowly added oil and checked, added and checked and so on. Am up to 3.8 quarts and shows on the stick but still not up to the full mark.

Manual calls for 3.4 quarts with filter change. Used a JD filter and am screwing the dipstick in all the way. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
So....changed oil for first time. Headed the members advice here about not over filling. Put in 3 quarts, started and warmed up checked, nothing on dipstick. Have slowly added oil and checked, added and checked and so on. Am up to 3.8 quarts and shows on the stick but still not up to the full mark.

Manual calls for 3.4 quarts with filter change. Used a JD filter and am screwing the dipstick in all the way. Thoughts?
I believe the oil capacity spec is with a completely dry crankcase. Some oil will remain in the crankcase when you drain the oil.

Operators manual guidance link-
http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMM172509_19/?tM=

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Bradhill, I got that, but if some oil remains , wouldn't that mean it would take LESS than the spec to fill it?

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
Yes Bradhill, I got that, but if some oil remains , wouldn't that mean it would take LESS than the spec to fill it?

I guess I didn’t really think that through very well at 0200 this morning... obviously that pre-coffee...LOL

I wonder if JD includes the capacity of the oil filter with their spec?

From f150dan post it sounds like the spec is without filter?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Assuming it sits on level ground and you give it time for the oil to fully drain back into the pan, I'd believe the dipstick before the manual. My 2011 825i manual says capacity is 1.8 qts when in reality, it's 2.3. I use a larger Fram filter (7317) to give me a bit more capacity !! Craig

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks All For The Comments. Ran it till got very warm, let it sit for an hour checked and it's right on. Made sure I was in a level parking lot (drive way has a bit of a slope). 3.8 is the final number.

Bradhill: owners manual calls for 3.2 without filter and 3.4 with filter.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts