John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you purchase the Gator again if you were to do it over? Main usage will be the deer lease and going to the occasional atv park with the family.

I'm concerned about the lack of dealer/aftermarket support, power steering, and updates to current issues.

Although I am open to considerations, my main other interest is the can-am commander 800. Does anyone know how they compare in performance?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love my Gator. I would definitely choose it over the commander 800. Now if you put any of the 1000s up against it and I would probably go with one of them just because of more power and speed. Only problem I have found with the gator is that if you call it farm use instead of residential use then you can't buy extended warranty which is ridiculous. A farming company that won't warranty farm equipment. Glad they don't do this to the tractors I buy.

Btw they do have aftermarket power steering for the rsx and it's awesome.

Just my .02

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although tempted by the 1000 It would more than likely be a base 800 w power steering and add accessories later.

How difficult was the power steering install?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I love the gator and I ride with a few commanders. I have seen nothing that would make me change my mind yet! I use my gator for a 50/50 split for yard work and trail riding and for ergonomics alone the gator wins. getting in and out of the commander repeatedly to say pick up sticks or something gets cumbersome. On the trail it holds its own and it never disappoints. I ride Ski-doo snowmobile and I love the product just for me the all around machine is the Gator!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Although tempted by the 1000 It would more than likely be a base 800 w power steering and add accessories later.

How difficult was the power steering install?
It took a couple hours. I could do it faster now but was trying to make sure not to tear something up at the time. You have to take the dash off and a few of the clips on the fenders loose. Everything just plugs in. The steering wheel is a little hard to get off so some sort of pulley/bearing puller is recommended.

DEFINITELY worth the time and money tho.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the ergonomics of the Gator a little better myself as well...

When will John Deere announce any changes for 2015?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I went through the same considerations whenever I bought my Gator. But I just didn't like the Commander as much, I've ridden with a few and I don't regret my decision.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about the lack of aftermarket support? I'm worried about the lack of axles etc...

Does your bike turn the 30's well? Avatar pic looks like they are on stock wheel with no lift?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yeah my Gator is running 30inch Silverbacks on stock wheels. No lift. No scrubbing. To be honest the Gator acts like it did stock with the larger tires, very minimal power loss. There are lift kits available for them, as are Gorilla Axles, snorkel kits, exhaust, EPI clutch kits, programmers and so on..

·
Registered
37 Posts
850 i

Had the 850 I for a year now! I do not regret the purchase one bit, we have a Kubota RTV and two honda rancher 4 wheelers, the 850i has it's own purpose, I have installed the power steering, soft cab , heater, and other accessories , there all available. The product is good and will not disappoint, they all have there problems and jD support is as good as it gets I don't think you will regret the purchase!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts