John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new RSX850i and when I am going down a step dirt hill, 3-5 mph , the compression helps to slow down, then it seems to pop into neutral and I practically have to push the brake pedal through the firewall to slow or stop. When I am driving down my driveway, not very steep, it is fine. This is not good and I know something is wrong....right ?? Any suggestions? I searched 10-12 different utility vehicles and chose the gator because of its looks, and power but I need compression to help slow me down.....:mad:

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is normal. Clutch goes into free-wheel. Tap the accelerator when it does it and the clutch will engage again. Most sidexsides are this way and four wheelers with belt drives.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The drive clutch is centrifugal so if you keep the engine above the clutch's disengagement rpm you can have engine braking. It sounds odd but when going downhill keep your foot on the gas to keep the engine rev'd and you go slower. Take your foot off the gas and you coast free like a rocket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The drive clutch is centrifugal so if you keep the engine above the clutch's disengagement rpm you can have engine braking. It sounds odd but when going downhill keep your foot on the gas to keep the engine rev'd and you go slower. Take your foot off the gas and you coast free like a rocket.
Thanks for the info from both of you. My Yamaha Rhino never did that. " coast like a rocket" is right ! My wife will not be able to put enough foot pressure on the brake while keeping the gas on with the other foot. Maybe I need to adjust the brakes..

·
Registered
43 Posts
if you don't have many miles on your machine , your brakes need to get broke in also.
after you run them thru a couple heat cycle they should start to work easier. and its like they said , put it in low and kept your foot on the gas alittle and you wont even have to touch the brakes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts